Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Temperatures?

• Do you ride in Temps. below 10 degrees Fah.?

Votes: 9 10.3%
  • Do you ride in Temps. below 20 degrees Fah.?

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • Do you ride in Temps. below 30 degrees Fah.?

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • Do you ride in Temps. below 40 degrees Fah.?

Votes: 37 42.5%
  • Do you ride in Temps. below 50 degrees Fah.?

Votes: 16 18.4%
  • Do you ride in Temps. below 60 degrees Fah.?

Votes: 2 2.3%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Beings I have a car I do not feel compelled to ride in temperatures below 30 degrees, especially with the possibility ice on the ground.

I will ride in the rain if I am already out on a ride. I do not take my bike out with snow on the road, only because 800 pounds is too much for those road conditions (my opinion). :D

·
29,948 Posts
I pretty much cut it off at 30 F. I don't specifically check the temperature, but around that mark somewhere.

I used to - but these days since I have a car now, heck with it.

Now - below 20F - yeah that's not happening. I like riding, but when it's no fun any more, count me out.

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have made the mistake of riding at the 30 degree mark and did not take into consideration the windchill factor. Prop I am with you I do not see the need to ride in extreme cold anymore.

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
Brrrrrrrrrrr

20's as long as it's not real windy, snowing and I have my Swedish military motorcycle suit on. This suit is mega warm at most any speed. I once had to ride from Columbus to Springfield, OH, in 10 below chill factor at 22 below, but that really hurt my hands and face and not to do again.:eek:

Cheers

Jeff:motorbike2:

·
Registered
4 Posts
The threat of snow or ice or cold rain is what usually puts me in the car for my commute in the winter otherwise I wear heated gloves and the usual cold weather gear and I'm good to go.

·
Registered
10,211 Posts
I can't vote because 60F is the lowest I'll ride.

I rode in everything, year-round, when I didn't have a car, so I don't have to prove anything anymore.

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can't vote because 60F is the lowest I'll ride.

I rode in everything, year-round, when I didn't have a car, so I don't have to prove anything anymore.
Sorry Marty I would have added it if I knew, but I will make a note. Thanks Lee

PS I have said the same thing, I am not trying to prove anything anymore, I have ridden in extreme cold and just prefer not to anymore.

·
Premium Member
553 Posts
Here in Northwest Washington black ice is a real problem in the winter. So if it's anywhere around 32 degrees F I take the car to work. Even if we have a sunny day the humidity can be high enough that the roads the following morning can be treacherous.

Rain in the morning also screws me up because I have no place to hang my gear at work for it to dry.:(

Every night I check the projected low temp for next days early AM, and even if it's a so called "100% chance" of rain, when I get ready to leave in the morning for work I check the sky and if I think I have a 20 minute dry window on goes the bike gear and I ride. If it rains on the way home I could care less.:D

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'll ride from 35 degrees and up in daylight had a guy I know riding before daylight last year hit a small patch of black ice went down and a truck behind him struck and killed him.

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll ride from 35 degrees and up in daylight had a guy I know riding before daylight last year hit a small patch of black ice went down and a truck behind him struck and killed him.
Sorry for your loss. I have seen a biker go down on black ice years ago and he could not even stand up to right his bike. It is so dam slippery and you never know were the heck it will appear.

·
Registered
422 Posts
As far as the wind chill, after about 20 deg. F, I can't tell a difference. So, I just get there as fast as possible.

You really have to limit your time to about 15 minutes between warm ups, at that temperature, with no electrical gear.

May main concern is the effect the temp. has on the oil in the forks and shock.

Zip

·
Banned
2,731 Posts
Anything under freezing is usually a no-no for me. Black ice being the main danger but also, in fall, wet leaves accumulated on the street. They are more slippery than ice! Awful stuff....

·
29,948 Posts
The other thing is, round here anyway, they really chuck the salt and grit around - and that stuff always accumulates in bends and at junctions. That stuff is as treacherous as ice sometimes. So once they start throwing that around I pretty much knock the riding off for winter, even if some over 40 days creep in. (they rarely do anyway).

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I felt compelled to also mention that riding on a day with temperatures below 30 degrees will also drop your body temperature very quickly if you should have the misfortune to have an accident.

·
Banned
2,757 Posts
Jeez Jeff your making me feel like a slacker....
Slacker!!:LaughAtYou: Actually Lee, I was on a CX500 Honda and I was sure glad. Them cylinders stood up where I could get my hands on them and keep them warm. The Vetter faring helped alot also. I'm with Major Kong on this one. There's a point where you just don't feel the difference but the that goes back to the other definition in a recent thread, of how cold is cold.

I'll tell you this much, I couldn't feel my hands or face for about 1.5 hours and that scared me a little. I believe it was the first stage of frostbite. When your skin and tissue starts to freeze you just keep going, it doesn't hurt until it starts to thaw.:eek: Me no do that anymore!;)

Cheers

Jeff:motorbike2:

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The hour ride to Bangor (below 30 degrees) I had to stop and warm my hands on those three cyclinders just to get the feeling back. Plus I do not have a fairing on the bike. I would just hate having digits turning black and dropping off. I need them and I would not be able to flip the bird to some needy cager. :D

1 - 20 of 50 Posts