Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The weather is cooling, and while it is still good riding weather, the end of the season is surely coming. I don't really envy those of you in southern climes where you ride all year round, since you never get the thrill of getting out after a few months of winter misery. But I digress, now that it is getting cooler I think I need to wash my bike for the first time since I bought it two years ago. I hate washing my bike, especially since getting down on my (artificial) knees is a pain, but there is probably a ton of crud on the underside of a bike that has been ridden for about 7,000 miles without a real wash. But the real reason I haven't washed it is that when it is nice enough outside to wash the bike, and where I have the time to do it, I end up going riding rather than washing. But I think this weekend will be the time to remove the leather bags, get out the old bucket and rags, and give it a go. Then at least I know I am good for another two years of benign neglect.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I'm almost that neglectful. I found some free time last week and spent about an hour taking the bags off and washing the bike. I even cleaned the wheel rims really good and took off the chain guard and cleaned the sludge from the underside. Then the following day I actually waxed it. Now it looks so pretty I don't want to ride it. Thankfully I have my Valkyrie, which hasn't been washed in weeks, so I still have something to ride.

·
Registered
476 Posts
The weather is cooling, and while it is still good riding weather, the end of the season is surely coming. I don't really envy those of you in southern climes where you ride all year round, since you never get the thrill of getting out after a few months of winter misery. But I digress, now that it is getting cooler I think I need to wash my bike for the first time since I bought it two years ago. I hate washing my bike, especially since getting down on my (artificial) knees is a pain, but there is probably a ton of crud on the underside of a bike that has been ridden for about 7,000 miles without a real wash. But the real reason I haven't washed it is that when it is nice enough outside to wash the bike, and where I have the time to do it, I end up going riding rather than washing. But I think this weekend will be the time to remove the leather bags, get out the old bucket and rags, and give it a go. Then at least I know I am good for another two years of benign neglect.
I guess we just have to suffer through riding year round - last winter ( If you want to call it that - we only had maybe a week's worth of cold down to maybe 35 ) -- last night I was riding back from my son's house 10 miles from here and actually broke out the leather jacket for the first time. It was around 65 -- yep, I know - the Florida sunshine has turned me into a wimp ! :D I rarely wash my bike the way I used to wash cars when I was younger. The only washing I do know is the chain and occasional light spraying around the tires. I do wax it fairly often however !

·
Registered
476 Posts
Yeah, I hope to never have to go through . Make sure you keep it all bottled up north!

Notice you're in AL - where I am, it's commonly known as LA ( Lower Alabama ) here in the Florida panhandle - but them some also call it the Redneck Rivera ! At any rate, I HATE cold weather - my darn feet get cold and stay that way until it warms back up to 80 +. I'll take the heat and humidity any day over the brutal cold they have up north.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I can absolutely handle the heat and humidity better than the cold. I'm right in the middle of the state so when we do have a bad cold spell it usually only lasts for a few days. I do need to take a visit down to LA sometime soon. Its been a number of years since I was last down to Pensacola or PC.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts