Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Browsing through Youtube yesterday i saw a recent video from Stuart Fillingham's channel about the gearbox. It was very doom and gloom and made me feel that it wasn't a matter of "if" I would have the issue with the gear selector, it was a matter of "when". I do know there have been some reports of this issue but wanted to try and take the pulse of the group here to try and get a better understanding of the problem. For the record, my gearbox has been flawless with about 8000 miles on my 2018 T120. I am about 1 month out of warranty at this point. Anyone had the problem and if so at what was your mileage?

·
Registered
2016 Bonneville T120
83 Posts
I saw the same video last night. Very disconcerting. I have a 2016 T120 with 8,000 miles and have had no issues, but like you, I now wonder whether it's just a matter of time.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Browsing through Youtube yesterday i saw a recent video from Stuart Fillingham's channel about the gearbox. It was very doom and gloom and made me feel that it wasn't a matter of "if" I would have the issue with the gear selector, it was a matter of "when". I do know there have been some reports of this issue but wanted to try and take the pulse of the group here to try and get a better understanding of the problem. For the record, my gearbox has been flawless with about 8000 miles on my 2018 T120. I am about 1 month out of warranty at this point. Anyone had the problem and if so at what was your mileage?
My 2017 imploded with about 1500 miles on it. I was riding on a long, winding road in the desert in 6th gear and I went to downshift, but couldn't. It was stuck in 6th. Fortunately, I never had to stop or slow enough that I had to shift. Triumph fixed under warranty, but not without me calling them and complaining directly. The dealership was trying to say it was my fault and that I must have had an accident. I sold the bike right after that. No way I'm going to be dealing with a dealership like that. It's my understanding that the issue has plagued 2016-2017, but perhaps others have had it happen on 2018-2020 bikes. Mine also had that horrible front brake squeak that they fixed in 2018.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

·
Registered
347 Posts
Here is my original thread on this issue. Others that had it chimed in as well:

·
Premium Member
2017 Triumph T120
1,005 Posts
I’m at 6000 miles on my 2017 T120. No gearbox issues yet. I’m also out of warranty so I’m going to enjoy my bike and steel myself for a possible repair bill down the road.

Reactions: ranger995

·
Registered
347 Posts
It certainly a small percentage of bikes that have this issue, but that small percentage still affects a lot of bikes.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Through a little more reading it appears one of two things happen:

1. Some sort of impact to the shift arm....a drop or hitting something in the road bends the internals on the shift arm
2. just outright claimed failure with no impact - seems this is more rare than #1.

Good info here on trying to mitigate #1. not advocating, just food for thought.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Stuart also showed some kind of fix it notice or Tech Bulletin 197 issued? 09 2019 which shows a replacement kit for gear change selector which may or may not already be at the local Triumph dealer. None the less not very confidence inspiring! I've only got a little over 3k on my 2016 Thruxton R which has been flawless but uneasy lies the mind with this knowledge.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
While there has been quite a few cases on here it's probably a very small percentage out of the total worldwide sales, and if you take out the cases were people have smashed the gear selector on a rock or dropped their bike it's even rarer.

Videos from our friend mr Fillingham don't help by talking about gearboxes seizing up, and people on this thread saying theirs "imploded" and talking about $1,500 repairs, it's more than likely a $20 part if you fix it yourself so it's far from the end of the world.
If you've had no impact the most likely cause is the pivot plate, I've had to replace it twice on my Daytona but for a t120 it's currently £6.73 plus a gasket if needed.
might be inconvenient if it leaves you stranded but like I said not the end of the world.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I recently got my Scrambler 1200 XE and read some of the same things about the gearbox. I’ve been keeping my ear to the ground since the water cooled twins came out.

I decided that life is too short to worry about what might amount to a small minority of bikes with the issue. I am 614 miles in and am loving the hell out of the bike!

If you can find yourself a good dealer, then they will take good care of you and keep you as a customer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm almost at 7000 miles and three years, bike is running great (that'll be the kiss of death now :giggle: ) I hope it's a fix I can do myself, I've a decent workshop and plenty of tools. I would describe my mechanical prowess as 'a triumph of enthusiasm over ability'.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Like most people I see this video and it had me worried. I bought a 2013 Bonneville in January this year. It only had 1487 miles on it. However, it seems from comments on here that the gearbox issues only affects later water cooled versions? Or should I continue to worry in case the day arrives when my gearjkx experiences this issue?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Like most people I see this video and it had me worried. I bought a 2013 Bonneville in January this year. It only had 1487 miles on it. However, it seems from comments on here that the gearbox issues only affects later water cooled versions? Or should I continue to worry in case the day arrives when my gearjkx experiences this issue?
It's only the new water cooled version

·
Registered
719 Posts
It's only the new water cooled version
Personally, that's a relief. But if what was said in the video is true, it's disgraceful that Triumph and their dealers always try to blame this issue on the owner. They're literally putting people's lives at risk.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Personally, that's a relief. But if what was said in the video is true, it's disgraceful that Triumph and their dealers always try to blame this issue on the owner. They're literally putting people's lives at risk.
I loved my 2006 T100. My 2017 was a disappointing bike. My dealer went out of their way to blame me, and I had nothing to do with the issue

·
Premium Member
2017 T120 Black
497 Posts
I have two T120s, one is a 2017 with about 30k on it (no gearbox problem yet). The second (my wife's) is a 2018 with about 7k on it (also no gearbox problem yet).

Crossing my fingers.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks all. While I'm sorry for those of you that have experienced it, many time forums and the like are echo chambers. Love the bike, but this concern will always be in the back of my mind. FWIW, many manufacturers go through this....BMW and the final Drive, M8 and the sumping issue. At the end of the day it is a machine and as such machines break. If I plan on keeping the bike will do so with the knowledge this is a known issue and plan accordingly.

·
Registered
2016 Thruxton S
171 Posts
17,300 on my 2016 Thruxton, and the transmission is good. The 1 => 2 and the 2 => 3 shifts tend to "clunk", but otherwise, no complaints.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Stuart’s video has everybody’s bowels in an uproar. On this Forum and YouTube people erroneously are talking about a $1,500 repair bill. In a technical sense, it’s NOT a transmission problem – it’s a “GEAR CHANGE SELECTOR MECHANISM” issue. If my memory serves me correctly the entire mechanism assembly is an $87.00 USD part plus a gasket. You have to remove the clutch basket to replace it. Someone posted a step-by-step video on Youtube and it is simply enough that a “shade tree” mechanic can do in about two hours. If you can do a cat-delete; you can handle this. Yes there have been some out right failures but the majority of the failures occurred after a left-side drop which bends the pivot plate. As long as you do not drop your bike on the left hand side the chances of a failure will be minimized.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Stuart’s video has everybody’s bowels in an uproar. On this Forum and YouTube people erroneously are talking about a $1,500 repair bill. In a technical sense, it’s NOT a transmission problem – it’s a “GEAR CHANGE SELECTOR MECHANISM” issue. If my memory serves me correctly the entire mechanism assembly is an $87.00 USD part plus a gasket. You have to remove the clutch basket to replace it. Someone posted a step-by-step video on Youtube and it is simply enough that a “shade tree” mechanic can do in about two hours. If you can do a cat-delete; you can handle this. Yes there have been some out right failures but the majority of the failures occurred after a left-side drop which bends the pivot plate. As long as you do not drop your bike on the left hand side the chances of a failure will be minimized.
Exactly, I tried to explain the difference to Stuart fillingham when he was talking about gearbox failures but he either couldn't understand or didn't want to, maybe it just suits his click bait agenda to make people thing their gearbox is going to fail.

Reading this thread is like reading the comments on fillinghams videos, people posting mis- information about expensive gearbox failures and others who don't have the problem panicking because they think their bike is going to explode and kill them.
Like @Faster Pastor says, it's nothing to do with the gearbox, its not expensive (unless you take it to a Triumph dealer who will always rip you off), and its not that common, so just enjoy the ride.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts