Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets say, hypothetically, :-D you had to choose between two new, uh, "summertime" cars- which wouldja pick? The Porsche 944 5spd Turbo? Or the Nissan 300ZX auto non-turbo (but with some performance gains)?

·
Registered
456 Posts
I think maintainance on the Z would be cheaper, but if it's an automatic that would ruin it for me.

I like the looks of the 944 better, and they are solid cars. It might be a good idea to get the 944 checked out mechanically, and get the turbo looked at. Also check up on the service history, and contact any former owners if possible.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I had a 1985 (non-turbo) 944 in the mid 90s. I was a good, reliable car, but failures are indeed expensive.

EDIT: I just noticed the Nissan is an automatic. Screw that!

[ This message was edited by: Curmudgeon on 2007-02-28 12:08 ]

·
Registered
204 Posts
I personally love 300ZX turbo's. Great car and look great. Porche's are just made for people that need to make up for the lack something.....

·
Registered
97 Posts
+1 on not going with the auto. Parts, both stock and performance, with be more $ for the 944. I had a friend who had a 924 that broke the bank for simple stuff. I can't drive a fast car, I have to save all the tickets for the bike! :-D

·
Registered
317 Posts
On 2007-02-28 10:50, mnrider wrote:
I personally love 300ZX turbo's. Great car and look great. Porche's are just made for people that need to make up for the lack something.....
As a Porsche owner, I find that stereotype offensive. I bought mine because of the laser sharp handling, prodigious grip, and great engine sounds. I didn't buy it to compensate for having a short dick. I use my tounge for that.

·
Registered
231 Posts
You say that like you have driven one and feel they are not worth the money!!

These cars are not Ferrari Enzo's that are out of reach for normal people. 80K can get you into a real nice 911 and I now for a fact they drive better than anything else you can get for 80k that I have been in.

Drive a Porsche and then come back and tell me they are only used to compensate for small manhood.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Porche's are just made for people that need to make up for the lack something.....
Have you ever driven a Porsche? They really drive exceptionally well. I'd never been a big fan until a couple years ago, when I test-drove recent 911s and Boxsters (and later bought a 2005 Boxster). Neither is the most powerful sports car you can get for the money, but they both have incredible suspension and brakes and both handle exceptionally well. They're also well-made, reliable, practical cars (if you don't need a lot of space to carry stuff).

I bought a Porsche because I thought it was the best sports car for the money . . . despite the widely-held negative stereotypes like "show-off," "small-member," or (in the case of my Boxster) "chick-car."

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
<h1>PORSCHE!</h1>

I remember a great quote from a Mercedes-driving lawyer acquaintance of mine:

"Only drug dealers drive Porsches."

Of course, this was in the '80s and he was probably right.

[ This message was edited by: R100Pilot on 2007-02-28 12:48 ]

·
Registered
528 Posts

Tru dat..

Thats why i need to buy one. :evil:

:-D

The 300zx looks better than the porsche.

I wouldnt consider a non 911 porsche.

Porsches are pretty reliable. They have been making those for a long time and they got it down pretty good.

A friend of mine had one(944), they were slow and dull. He got a bang out of saying he had a porsche, thats all about it.

The 300zx is a car that still is more modern looking and handles just as good. Handling really is academic thou. No one drives them to that point.

I would look for a 5spd 300zx. Or if you want a fun car. Mazda miata or bmw z3. :-D

·
Registered
317 Posts
On 2007-02-28 14:49, roadkill wrote:
. . .

I wouldnt consider a non 911 porsche.

. . .
You've obviously never driven a Boxster or Cayman. The 911 is a great car, but no matter what miracles the Porsche people have worked over the years, it's still got the engine in the wrong place. The 986/987 platform is far better dynamically than the 996/997. Porsche has just skimped on the engine for the "lower" models to keep the flagship status of the 911. Even so, the Cayman is still quicker around a racetrack.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hands down, I would pick the 944 turbo.
The Z is nice but your going to get more performance and fun out of a 944. Am I’m a big fan of Turbos.
I was never real impressed with the mods to the Z’s. Everyone seems to put NOS on them but no major tuning.
Now it the Z was a twin turbo???? I may have a different opionoin.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Unless your a pure driving enthusiast, having the automatic Z won't spoil any of the fun for you. If you're going to take it to the track where hitting the apex with the engine high in the revs is vital for quick lap times, I'd recommend against it. My 98 240sx came with an auto and I had a blast with it. It's since then been converted to a manual (along with a turbocharged motor :-D ). I've driven manual and auto Z's, and to be honest the one is just as much fun as the other. If you find the auto doesn't shift fast enough for you, there's plenty of aftermarket support so finding a shift kit won't be an issue. The VG motor is about as bulletproof as you could hope to find in a car. I would prefer one with the twin turbo, however with the right bolt ons the NA can be just as much fun. Be advised though... the 300Z was a fat @ss. It was one of the heaviest cars in it's class and although it's handling compensates, it won't be as nimble as a lighter car. This is why it's never seen downhill drifting... it'll just plow into the wall :brk: I'm sure you'll have a blast either way. Just test drive them both and see which one gives you the largest grin... :-D

·
Registered
208 Posts
300ZX. I had a 91 twin turbo 5-speed. Very reliable and fun to drive. Even with an automatic, I'd still take it over a 944, if only for the reliabilty and low maintenance costs. :cool:

·
Super Moderator
22,196 Posts
I have an auto 300ZX TT .
It's heavy & handles like a pig - but it sure gets up & goes in a straight line.
Can't imagine the non-turbo being all that exciting.

Now the third 'red' in my pic - now there's something worthy of handling & performance!
Oh - & the NSX is nice too! :-D

[ This message was edited by: DEcosse on 2007-02-28 15:21 ]

1 - 20 of 39 Posts