Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Time to clean my leathers..was considering some cheap textiles to keep the rain out but none seamed to offer the same security as my leathers. Has anyone any tips how or what to use to waterproof your leathers using oils or waxes etc??

thanks

·
Registered
29 Posts
Nikwax

My mate swears by Nikwax leather waterproofer. I haven't tried it myself but he thinks it's brilliant.
Cheers.

·
Premium Member
24,231 Posts
I am a gear hog and have several suits, mostly I wear a two peice "Tiger Angel" leather suit but also have a very heavily armoured Arlen Ness "All weather" cordura jacket and heavily armoured Tecknic Cordura pants.

Moder 1000 denura cordura fitted with CE body armour is very protective and 100% waterproof in my experience.

I also have a light weight one peice ovrsuit I can wear over my leathers in heavy weather.

Chers,
DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
164 Posts
There are things out there for proofing leather but I feel like no matter what you do its not really gonna be good for rain. Some people wear a suit over, which I think it handy for that time of year when the weather is in transition.

But once the weathers turned (I'm in the UK so our summer lasts about 4 days) out come the textiles. There's so much choice out there it's silly, but I ended up going for a 2 piece Dainese set. The jacket has good elbow pads that extend down the forearm, the shoulders seem fine too. I like the legs the most though, good knee protection and down the shin with extra padding down the thighs and butt. I have a good quality back protector that I wear under my gear, after all its way better than a piece of foam over your spine, plus I just had to buy the one and wear it under any jacket. My wife has a Frank Thomas 2 piece, which was good value for sure, and not bad, but you really do get a feeling that its just not as tough. There's better stuff out there for sure, though it generally costs alot more. I feel like the stuff I have strikes a good balance. There's something to be said for getting into a suit in the morning that feels like a duvet :)

·
Registered
226 Posts
febsil is the way

hi febsil is the way i wear richa monsoon textile trousers and a jts leather jacket sprayed in febsil waterproof spray this stuff is the dog bollocks its used to waterproof tents thats how good it is £5.99 a can from millets a camping and outdoor company in the u.k spray on and let dry its great stinks like a pole cat though but that goes after a few days best to do it in the dry and outdoors very good stuff i've worn my leather all winter and it,s rained cats and dogs and i've stayed dry all the best regards G.B.D and happy riding

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Not sure if this is good for jackets and pants but my Red Wing boots are leather and waterproof. The salesman says all that makes them waterproof is the mink oil that is applied. He claims it helps condition the leather as well. Personal experience with it is that my boots which have now seen 2 winters have never leaked and I apply the stuff about once a month in the wet seasons.

I dont know if that is economical or practical but you could try it.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Mink oil is great....but it will darken your leather...(not an issue on black) make sure its is well absorbed. I use Lexol and though it isnt touted as a water proffing...but a conditioning product. Ihave found that it seems to do a pretty good job of that as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts