Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have had an issue lately. My bike will act like it is running on 2 cylinders sometimes when I start it in the rain or after washing it. I think the problem is water getting inside the kill switch and after a bit it clears out and everything runs fine. Am I looking in the right place or should I consider something else. I was going to get some wd40 and spray it in the housing. Please let me know what you have found out about this. Thanks. I should ad that I have the factory heated grips.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would try covering the hand grips/kill switch with a plastic bag first, then douse the bike with water to see if that is where the issue is coming from. I would try this before spraying with WD. There is also a starter lockout on the clutch lever, so cover that side as well.

But you said it runs on 2 cylinders for a little bit then clears up, so I wonder if it is more of a coil or spark plug/wire related issue.

·
Registered
248 Posts
i have the same problem exactly and not got to the bottom of it!

don't think it's the kill switch as it's more mechanical, assuming yours is the same? i think it's water getting into the spark or something as it goes once warmed up signalling evaporation.... saying that, i'm a pretty basic level home mech and still learning!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Possibly water on the coils causing the partial ignition of the cylinders. OEM coils -if still fitted- could be doing the nasty if wet. This ignition yes, then sometimes no, then yes again is also a common issue on Airhead BMWs -of which I have two- running the factory coils. Small, near invisible cracks in the casing. Upgrade coils and the problems goes away permanently.

Do you ever have this problem on rainy, foggy or very damp days?

Monte

·
Registered
653 Posts
Unless you are spraying water under your gas tank, while washing, I don't think it is the coils or plugs (raining...different story).
Cover ignition switch as well.
Don't forget the sidestand switch.

Get the bike running and start spraying each component with water until you get a miss-fire.
There are better products for blocking water than WD-40. Look at you auto parts store.
Mark

·
Registered
108 Posts
Unfortunately due to the wet liner design of the engine the spark plug wells have no drain holes as they do on conventional water jacket designed bikes.The H.T. leads are crap at keeping the water out. When misfiring take the caps out and use a mirror to look down on top of the spark plugs, full of water?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts