Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
G'Day. I'm about to attempt to repair what I've been told is a leaking head gasket on my 94 900 Daytona, but after reading a few posts I think it might be piston liners that were not lifted and re-sealed after I had some head work done. This bike has 160,000Km on it. Just wanted to know if anyone has done this and what I might need to make it all go smoothly. I have a workshop manual. Should I pull the motor out and do a few more bearings as well or (I have been without bike due to this problem) just get it back on the road.:confused:And does anyone know an easy way to get the liners out?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: Oil in radiator

When I was pulling the bike down I noticed that I had alot of sludgy oil in the radiator. Just wondering if anyone has seen this before. If so, do you know the cause and the cure? I think it might be piston liners or maybe it could be the water pump.

Does anyone have a clue?

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
Jimmy, That is definately an indication of a defective head gasket, not sure about the cylinder liners, but at least possible. Very common to find coolant in the sump also with a head gasket failure.

Unless you had the cylinder head off the liners should be still be sealed. In any case the head needs to be removed to determine the cause and the liners resealed. If you can't remove the liner by hand, you'll need a special tool.

Brad

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help mate, I will take a few photos and try to post when i finish. ( this may take some time)

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
Jimmy, I didn't find a spec for the silicon sealant for the liners. The dealer likely will know. If not, I just tried a new RTV sealant on one of the Mustangs and it's terrific. It's International Harvester RTV and is used on IH and Ford Power Stroke diesels.

Brad

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Hey Brad, no special tools are required to reseal the liners, just blue Hylomar and some patience! If the head has been off and the liners were not sealed, this is more than likely the cause of the problem.

I don't believe there is any need to pull the engine out and go into the bottom end, they are pretty tough units. Just study the manual, assemble all the tools, gaskets and bits and pieces required and take your time.

What head work was done? It might be wise to get it checked for true whilst its off. Also, be careful not to mix up the valve shims, if you tip the head upside down, they will fall out!

Also, there are a few guys over on the T3 forum that have done this, might be worth posting up over there.

Cheers,

Roden

1 - 7 of 7 Posts