Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Would like to pick your brains on this little problem I have with my 2003 Girlie.. After washing or being sat out in the rain, I find that when I open the filler cap up to refuel, the recess has a layer of water sat in it, which I would not want to get in the tank ( which if you are careful does not happen ). My point is that it has not always done this, so should there be a drain to allow the water to runoff? And if there is, is it easy to clean out / unblock?
Regards,
Andy.

·
Registered
391 Posts
There is a drain from the filler and by the sounds of it yours is blocked. try shoving a thin bit of wire down the hole from the top to clear it, this is what I did with mine. You really need a strong thin wire to do the job, I used a bit of the stuff used for model aircraft control surfaces as I have that kind of thing lying about from my modelling days.

Andy.

·
Registered
724 Posts
And if

Outrunners suggestion doesnt work, you may need to remove the seat and side panel to gain access to the alluminium:eek: fitting that Triumph in their wisdom fitted:confused:
Remove the rubber pipe and take a very small drill - note- you will have to turn the drill by hand:( and drill out the crud from the fitting. Once clear spray some WD down the drain to stop it furring up in future.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Andy is correct there is a drain and it gets blocked to often.
I have found that it is the lower end that gets gunged up.

if you remove the black panel on the left of the tank you will see two small pipes one will have a cylinder an inch or so down and the other is plain, the plain one is the drain for the cap, the other is the tank vent, this can also block and you end up with a misshapen tank so you may as well do both while your there but remember which way round the pipes are.

pull the pipes off, they are fitted to metal nipples that are glued into the tank. I think it is the step in the bore that traps the gunge. using a bit of wire prod around until the blockage is free and then flush through with water.

do the same trick with the vent, but blow through with the filler open.

when you fit the vent pipe check that the roll over valve is vertical.

Hi Pete just got to it quicker than me:D must type faster

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks , Andy , Pete and Robbie, will have a go at cleaning the breather and drain out when I get home from work.
Andy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi all, just pulled the hoses off and prodded them with a piece of pushbike gear cable and a load off crap and water came out of one of them, so I presume that was the one that was blocked :D
So thanks for your advice chaps and what a great site this is!
Andy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts