Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought that I'd already cured this problem 6 months ago.

History :- I had started to notice condensation on the inside of one of my headlights after washing or riding through a downpour. I assumed it must be a cracked lens but couldn't find a crack. I took the unit out and all looked fine. I filled it with water to try and find where the water was getting in. The reflector is fitted to the glass using a type of resin. Water was seeping through this resin. After drying it all out thoroughly I knocked up some epoxy resin and applied liberally over the leaking area. When thoroughly dry I reassembled, chuffed with myself at such a simple cure (no pun intended).

This has worked fine until now ! The condensation is back. Noticed it after last wash ( only a garden hose not a pressure washer ). Has anyone any ideas what to use this time, or dealt with this problem any other way ? It seems a waste to buy a new unit when this one works perfectly well.

Thanks in anticipation, JJ.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Try using a waterproof type glue/epoxy.

Personally, I often use silicone cauking for such applications. Lasts a LONG time and is 100% waterproof.

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
Think about this a little more carefully. Most Epoxies are water proof, but they're usually not that good with heat. Your headlight will get pretty darn hot on the inside of that epoxy seal.

Look for a sealant that can be used in high temps as well as in water and you'll probably find a permanent cure.

Mick :cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts