Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thank goodness !!!

My 94 Speed Triple had the snapped bolt on the Alternator Shaft
It now has the modified shaft fitted and man is it quieter.

My local dealer fitted it for 2hrs labour prior to the MOT test which it has now passed. But the old lady blew a front fork seal on the way into the workshop just to add to the bill.

Now talk about it happening in threes

The bike ran like a dream for the first 25 miles after collection Then it developed an intermittent misfire running on 2 cylinders stuttering for a while before coming back on song and going again I managed to get home Noticeably at the time of misfire the Tacho rev counter dropped back to zero then came back on with the revs.
The shims and carb balance were completed a couple of hundred miles ago.
Any ideas appreciated I seem to remember reading on here about dirty coil contacts Or is it a coil on the way out ?
Frank

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Hard to tell the difference between dirty contacts & a coil that's packed it in, but it sure sounds like one of the two. The tacho dropping out tells us the problem is with #1. (I believe, somebody correct me if I'm wrong.)

I would clean the contacts on the harness <-> coil connections on all 3 coils & see if that sorts it. If not, replace #1 coil or all 3, depending on how full the bank account is.

Cheers, HTH,
-Kit

·
Registered
826 Posts
i would put money on a faulty coil, definately on cylinder 1.
but it does not harm to try cleaning the contacts first.
i went for one coil on its own, then 100 miles later another coil packed in, so i bought 2 more......they have all done the same amount of work at the end of the day

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right on the Money Boys !

Today was my first day off for a while.

So I set about the Triple , tank off and check the coils as per the Haynes . Fortunately my lads electrical tester was working. No 1 Coil was the culprit . Coil was swopped for the replacement sent from Sprint Manufacturing ( first time ive used them top service ) . I cleaned up all the contacts checked all the connections for good measure.
Whoo Hoo just back from a 50 mile blast round some of mid Hampshires finest roads . Suns out and its a glorious day.

We are back on full triple unfaltering turbine power and a fully functioning tacho
The sound from the mecatwin exhaust causes this grown man to dribble !!!
Thanks
Frank

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
What kind of mileage are you guys seeing the coils go at?

I've got just shy of 30,000 miles on mine- so far so good.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
About 10 000 miles now

Showing on the speedo
I bought it 2 and a half yrs ago with 4500miles on it..
PVL German made coils were fitted .

The history of the bike is a little hazy I know it came back to Blighty via the USA and Hong Kong.Some has been filled in by the last keeper who spent time in HK.

All in all its a tidy 94 Speed Triple in good condition with lots of goodies fitted. The handling is sorted with an Ohlins shock on the rear and Racetech springs up front.

Im just catching up with all the maintainance since my eldest put 6000 on it on a european tour last year.
Frank

1 - 8 of 8 Posts