Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I washed my Striple for the first time this weekend. Turned out to be way more work than I anticipated! I think because I've had fully faired bikes, I found it difficult to get into all the places on the engine, especially trying to get it dry before it spotted.

What do y'all use to wash, dry, etc? To dry out those nooks and/or crannies, and keep them from spotting, etc? I took a look around the forums and couldnt' find what I was looking for, so hopefully I won't get scolded :rolleyes:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not "fussy" :) I like the idea of the air compressor though. That would go a long way to getting the excess off. Thanks mate.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
That's part of the bonding process - cleaning your bike :)

I just wash then rinse her off and set her on the side stand which lets the water drain off the bottom of the radiator tank. Just use a bath towel from the shop and wipe her down. Start the engine and let her warm up to help dry things out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
+1 for the leaf blower. Works great to get a majority of the water off, then it's easy to finish off with a chamois.

Bob

·
Registered
84 Posts
I wash all the painted panels with a microfiber and PoorBoys Soap N Suds. Then rinse the bike. I take that same rag and then do both wheels. Once I finish the wheels I rinse it again. Then I get a new microfiber and wash all the plastic and pipes and engine etc.. Once that is done I have two nice absorber towels and go over the whole bike. I don't wash the bike when its hot at all so it doesn't spot.

·
Registered
906 Posts
..... I never wash my bikes...ever!

I can always tell when a guy washes his bike with a hose because water gets in the connectors and is still in the little nooks and crannies.
I've seen quite a lot of washed bikes with corrosion problems.
Just use a damp cloth and wipe the bike down. It's slower, but you don't get water where it's not supposed to be.

S.

·
Registered
184 Posts
..... I never wash my bikes...ever!

I can always tell when a guy washes his bike with a hose because water gets in the connectors and is still in the little nooks and crannies.
I've seen quite a lot of washed bikes with corrosion problems.
Just use a damp cloth and wipe the bike down. It's slower, but you don't get water where it's not supposed to be.

S.
I've always found this to be odd. Do you never ride in the rain as well?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
My bike acted a little funny this morning. She seemed a little hard to start then fast idled up and down for a few minutes before settling into the normal idle.

Might have gotten a little water in the tank or in some connections. She runs fine now but I will be a little more careful when washing her again.

BTW, I live in the Portland, Oregon - Vancouver, Washington area and ride my bike every day so it's used to getting wet :rolleyes:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sp00ky....question for you. Isn't the prevailing theory that the dirt/dust/particulates on the finish need to be "rinsed away" before you use any clothes or sponges, etc? Otherwise, those particles can effectively make the cloth act like sandpaper. I'd prefer not to spray down the bike, but I'd be afraid of making little swirly scratches if I didn't.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Another leaf-blower user here. It does a good job moving the water off without pounding the surface (aka air compressor). Pressurized air against water can displace the grease around connections, chain links, ect.. A good use for the compressor would be to dry out the key tumblers. I like to quirt a shot of teflon lube into the tumblers after a wash anyway.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Used to do dry clean up on my black 600 rr with quick detailer or plexus and a micro fiber. Never once put the hose to it. Works like a champ , no swirls. And I'm the extremely anal detailing type that makes a hobby out of noticing poor paint care on cars when I'm goin down the road or walking through a parking lot.w

·
Registered
84 Posts
Modern bikes have weather proof connections. Washing them isn't going to hurt the bike.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Speaking from a bike mechanic's point of view, washing a bike with a hose is a lot different than riding it in the rain.
Modern bikes have essentially the same type of connectors that bikes had years ago, not much has changed there.

If you rinse the cloth / sponge whatever you use it won't scratch the paint work.
I use a bucket with warm water and a sponge with just a few drops of liquid soap in the water. I use the sponge damp but not dripping with water. I clean small areas and dry off with an old towel as I go.

If you want to wash your bike with a hose or pressure spray then go right ahead, don't let me stop you.

However, I recommend that you use lots of dielectric grease on all of your electrical connectors regularly, otherwise you just might find yourself sitting on the side of the road out in blackfella country with a dead engine.

S.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Garden Pump Sprayer

I bought a pump sprayer from the garden store, the type used to spray plants with fertilizer and insecticide. Price was about $35. Has the "RoundUp" logo on it.
I only use it for water. Holds four gallons. You pressurize it with the attached pump, and spray away with the plastic tipped wand.
I use a generic hand spray bottle with mild liquid soap and water mix to lift the dirt, used a soft brush to work the nooks and crannies, then rinse top to bottom with the garden sprayer.
Follow up with microfiber towels to dry.
First wash finally removed all the wax inspection marks on seemingly every part, and tire mounting goop from the sidewalls.
I live in a condo with below ground parking, so this method allows me to wash it inside.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts