Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased an 08' Thruxton... My dream has been to own a cafe racer. I've had 99' XL1200S Sportster / 06' Softail Deluxe and now a new Cafe Brit bike. I thought of buying the Bonnie but I think Triumph hit the nail on the head when they released the Thrux. "Vintage"
I'm 185lbs, 5'7" and this bike fits perfect. (Both feet touching ground flat) It has the ACE racer styling with the modern technology. I only hope I can get used to the clip on bars. I've already ordered goodies to wake up the engine. As I think every engine should have, free flow K&N air filters, free flow exhaust. I purchased the air box removal kit, and Predator(black)pipes from British customs. And removing that wacky rear fender too. I talked directly with sales @ BC who impressed me with their wide knowledge. Any Thruxton owners out there can give me some pointers on the aggressive riding style so to get tired arms or back? I can't wait to twist the throttle!!!

·
Registered
249 Posts
the only thing i can say about the riding postition is you will just get used to it. give it a week of riding and you wont even feel it. if you ride in the rain a lot i would suggest leaving the rear fender. how many vintage triumphs you see wit no rear fenders? the thruxton is a great starting point for building a nice vintage looking cafe bike.

·
Registered
164 Posts
As a new owner I can tell you you'll get used to the riding position in under a week.

Unless you have some chronic back problems, you'll be fine.

Others recommend holding the weight off your wrists with your core, which is what I try to do--it also helps keep your elbows loose which helps in cornering.

Congrats on the bike!

·
Registered
667 Posts
I agree with these guy's.
I was considering the T100 but went for the Thruxton because i love the look.
It is a little different at first but now i would not go back.I feel the riding position is just right. I have no problems with my wrist's or back. It takes a week or two to get use to it.
Congrats on the bike.
All the best John.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
ride in the rain a lot i would suggest leaving the rear fender. how many vintage triumphs you see wit no rear fenders?
I ride year round rain or shine and have a mostly clipped fender. I see plenty of twins with a cut or removed fender.

What Sito said. I came off a Tiger and tried to keep my helmet upright. I learned to lean forward and raise my eyes just a bit and got rid of neck pain.

Your going to love it, especially after you put a bunch more turns into your route. Its great on commute, group rides, it loves the track, easy on tires, has a great style ..... yah, you'll be quite happy.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Was the Thruxton a good choice ?!! Hell yeah it's a good choice !
( You would think after buying it and mentioning it on a TRIUMPH forum the response would be a " no brainer " ) :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
THruxton thanks

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated!!! I believe this will be a fun experience as well. Long time for me to wait though….I won’t be throwing my leg over the bike till about April/May 09’ L winter has arrived and the dreaded SALT is on the roads. (NY weather) In the meantime I’ll be checking out local bike groups and upcoming events. :D

Hans

·
Registered
709 Posts
Well, it depends;
If you think you're gonna make people think you've got a big pecker 'cause you have a big bike, you want a Harley.
If you want people to think you've got a big pecker 'cause you have a fast bike, get a 'Busa.
If you just want the coolest bike on the Planet, well, that would be a Thrux.
Redhawk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Squeeze the tank with your knees and push forward with your feet on the pegs. This will help you support you body weight using your core and not your arms.
You won't regret buying the Thruxton.

·
Registered
509 Posts
The bike is great and your mods are on the money. You will be amazed at how much better it looks with the fender gone. The fork gaiters also look cool and the stock exhaust sounds horrible, so you got that straight. As for the clip-ons, you'll get used to it and after a week or two anything else will feel like you aren't really in control of the bike. This is why race bikes don't have sissy bars. The more fit you are, the better you will feel after a long ride so you've got the winter to get in shape!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Tarozzi high race clip ons will cure the riding postion problems for $125
put them where you want: up, down, forward, back???

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated!!! I believe this will be a fun experience as well. Long time for me to wait though….I won’t be throwing my leg over the bike till about April/May 09’ L winter has arrived and the dreaded SALT is on the roads. (NY weather) In the meantime I’ll be checking out local bike groups and upcoming events. :D

Hans
Jesus, Hans, how the hell are you going to wait that long?

Rent a trailer and take a break from the winter--drive it down south-enough and get some thrux owners together for a week of riding. Load it back up and head north for the rest of the winter.
I thought I was going to bust waiting 3 weeks for my bike. Can't imagine 4 months!

Jack

·
Registered
87 Posts
i had a bonneville, rode the crap out of it, put low bars etc etc on it sold it bought a thruxton, much happier with the thruxton

·
Registered
41 Posts
The new ('09) Thrux has low bars versus the clip-ons. I got mine 3 weeks ago and couldn't be happier. I traded my '03 ninja in on it. Since I live in Florida, I've put on almost 1,000 miles on it. (mostly afer work) I ride 3 - 4 days a week to work but only live a couple miles away so I sometimes have to take the "long way home".
Happy Trails,

·
Registered
13 Posts
Once you get used to it, the bars feel great. I added the rubber knee pads a few weeks ago, what a difference that makes. They let you grip the tank with your knees, which somehow that takes a lot of the load off your arms especially when cornering and braking. Looks good too.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts