Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to pick up my new scrambler to the dealership yesterday. When I arrived, I saw the bike in the showroom with a "sold" sticker and my name next to it. The bike was all shinny and cleaned, like a new bike. However, upon a closer look at the odometer, it indicated that the bike had 7 miles on it. I asked the sales man about that and he said that the bikes they sale are tested by their mechanics to make sure that they are safe to ride, before the bike is delivered to the client. When it came time to do the paperwork, I mention the 7 miles on the clock again and the sales manager assured me that the bike was brand new and had only been ridden to make sure it was safe to ride. This is the first time I buy a new bike. Is this a common practice by the dealers or was I sold a used bike with 7 miles on it as a brand new bike?

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
I got my bike as a "demo" with like 28 miles on it. Seven miles is peanuts really.
Are they charging you an extra "break-in" fee? :-D

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
not to worry.....

it's been known for some folk to order a bike, ask that they be there when it's uncrated, EVEN delivering the unassembled bike to their own HOME! You must be willing to wait, accept whatever compromises may be, or just be happy with the dealership having checked it out before it rolls out onto a public road.

·
Registered
683 Posts
On 2007-02-22 09:47, f650blue wrote:
I went to pick up my new scrambler to the dealership yesterday. When I arrived, I saw the bike in the showroom with a "sold" sticker and my name next to it. The bike was all shinny and cleaned, like a new bike. However, upon a closer look at the odometer, it indicated that the bike had 7 miles on it. I asked the sales man about that and he said that the bikes they sale are tested by their mechanics to make sure that they are safe to ride, before the bike is delivered to the client. When it came time to do the paperwork, I mention the 7 miles on the clock again and the sales manager assured me that the bike was brand new and had only been ridden to make sure it was safe to ride. This is the first time I buy a new bike. Is this a common practice by the dealers or was I sold a used bike with 7 miles on it as a brand new bike?
It is done for YOUR safety, and the dealership's liability insurance coverage. Get over it, or don't buy it. Order a bike, with specifics....you want to be present at it's arrival, you want to be present at it';s uncrating, you want to oversee it's assembly and P.D.I., and you'll sign a waiver of liability and take the first ride.
Then, if the unforseen happens, it all on you.....

·
Registered
14 Posts
they have to Road Test them before the Handover

quite a few Years ago there was a Dealer who sold a bike to a customer in the UK (Suzuki) the new owner was taken outside given the run through and off he went 30 mins later the Dealer was uncrating another bike for the Same Bloke as the other Bike hadn't been PDI properley

The Result of that was as he approached a busy Crossroads and Applied his Brakes they didn't and he sailed into the side of a Car

The Mechanic was Sacked on the spot he had forgotten to clean the Front disc's , because when there packed in a crate in japan with the pld Cast type Discs they would go rusty so the Factory used to coat the Discs in a Grease to prevent that

this happened way back in the Early 80's

so yer 7 miles isn't a lot for your saftey is it :razz:

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Bought mine new in Aug, and it had 6 miles on it, and was told it was road tested after assembly. When I picked up my bonnie yesterday after have an all black powder coated exhaust system installed (Togas), K&N filter and re-jetted, I noticed 5 miles was put on the bike. I just laughed and asked them if they had dusted any Sportster's and blew out excess fiberglass :-D The bike now is lAwesome

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
I think it is no problem at all. When I bought my bike, it had zero miles on the odometer... but they had not set it up yet. They told me that they had to put oil in the bike, install the battery, and take it for a test ride, and that when I picked it up it would have about 10 miles on it (which it did). I thought it was nice they checked it out thoroughly for me before I picked it up.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Its easy to let our hobbies become obsessions which tend to suck all of the fun out .........

I remember years ago my wife and I bought 2 mopeds at a garage sale. We got a bit obsessed with them ..... expansion chambers, big bore kits, bigger carbs. We got them them to go about 60 mph, the problem of course was stopping them. When I found myself debating which was the the best ATF for the centrifugal clutch I knew I was out of control.

The point is enjoy your bike, don't worry about non-issues.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
They drove it a little to make sure the wheels were bolted on and stuff. This is a GOOD thing. The warranty is a two year, unlimited-mileage warranty, so I guess you could ask them to extend it for, say, ten minutes...

·
Registered
289 Posts
Is this a common practice by the dealers or was I sold a used bike with 7 miles on it as a brand new bike?
Somebody's pulling our legs, right.. If it's that important, buy a new "0-mile" speedometer.

·
Registered
581 Posts
mine had 3km on it mate, they drove it up the road to get some fuel in it, and I think if you look at your pre-delivery sheet, it say's somewhere 'Road-tested'. Nothing to worry about - enjoy!!! cheers, Pat

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
If you are the first title holder, you bought a new bike. The bike may have been test ridden by a prospective customer, but that would not change the fact the bike is new.

Your issue is probably warranty. That is not tied to miles, only by time after the date of the sale. So your bike could have had 200 miles, and your still good to go.

A demo bike is setup between the dealer and Triumph from the start, with the intent of using the bike for some time for test rides. A demo bike also is a brand new purchase, even though it may have 2000 miles. So your still good to go.

Enjoy your new ride, congratulations.

·
Registered
893 Posts
On 2007-02-22 09:47, f650blue wrote:
This is the first time I buy a new bike. Is this a common practice by the dealers or was I sold a used bike with 7 miles on it as a brand new bike?
Yes it is, no you weren't.

:)

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Mine ha 5 mi. I DONT want to be the 1st person to ever ride a brand new bike!! All new cars also have miles on them- its in everyones best interest!! :cool:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thank you all for your input.

Now I know this is a standard practice. I have been riding it up and down the local hills and I love it. My next trip will be this Sunday, from San Jose, California to Fresno, about 250 miles one way. I got the solo seat with a rack and it doesn't feel too comfortable. I'll find out soon.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
F650, I think you just have case of the new bike jitters mixed with the old standby, post-decision cognitive dissonance. It's OK. You'll enjoy your bike!

·
Registered
893 Posts
On 2007-02-22 15:58, f650blue wrote:
Thank you all for your input.

Now I know this is a standard practice. I have been riding it up and down the local hills and I love it. My next trip will be this Sunday, from San Jose, California to Fresno, about 250 miles one way. I got the solo seat with a rack and it doesn't feel too comfortable. I'll find out soon.
You are now officially riding a used bike.

Dennis :-D

1 - 20 of 29 Posts