Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

When I bought the Sprint my dealer told me that I should leave the bike to idle until the engine temp had reached 3 bars.

I have done this dutifully, but I am wondering why I am supposed to do this and if it is really necessary.

Anyone know?

thanks,
shane

·
Registered
497 Posts
Your dealer likely knows as much as we do. I wait till I "think" the oil has gotten everywhere in the engine....then I'm off.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sounds right. I usually only wait one or two. Probably for alot of reasons... that won't matter because the bike probably won't be around for as many miles as it would take to see problems from not warming it up exactly right. I just don't hammer the throttle until I have five bars up. I just cruise slowly out of the neighborhood in the morning. By the time I hit the first highway it's ready to go.

·
Premium Member
2,434 Posts
No Sprint here, but your dealer is nuts.

Start bike, put on helmet, jacket, gloves then ride off, gently at first and wait until the bike is at normal temp before cracking the throttle hard.

I have 97,000kms using this method on my S3 and almost the same on my 1982 Harley with never a problem.

Mick :cool:

·
Registered
8,111 Posts
I'm with miker,

By the time I start the bike (I can hear the TORs from here) I get my helmet and gloves on and zip my jacket up the temps normally about 65C.

I take off easily and don't gun it until it's 82C (normal operating temp). Works for me too..

·
Premium Member
24,342 Posts
I am also with Miker,
your dealer is a nuts x 2.

Kick it in the guts let it idle while donning your skid lid gloves and zip up your leathers and bug out.

Go gently with the noise control handle until she is showing normal operating temp then do what you like.

Davem
:cool:

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I can't believe it, something we ALL seem to agree on! I start mine up and let it idle until my limited amount of gear is on. As long as mine doesn't say 'Low' in the temperature gauge, I'm off. Gently until the temperature is at normal levels then I just ride normally. I may wait a bit longer before any top end charges just to be sure the oil in the transmission has caught up to the engine temperature. But your dealers advise certainly won't hurt anything!

·
Premium Member
3,038 Posts
same here.It idles for about a minute while I get the gloves on and helmet tightened up.Then I take it easy for a couple of km so neighbours are happy,engine and tires are warm then its time to let it loose.

It works for me :-D

Don probably has an opinion on it - but I have read somewhere that just letting it warm up with no load doesnt do it any good.The main thing is not to hammer it when cold.

Grant :cool:

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
I think I read the opinion you speak of Iceman. Their opinion was it's just a waste of fuel if like everyone here you baby it anyway until everything is up to temperature. They just said the fuel you use warming it up could also get you down the road a piece without doing any damage.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Here's what I learned from being a mechanic for ten years.

Engine cylinders are usually cast steel or ceramic coated. Pistons are usually aluminum. Rings are a different material than the cylinders. Pistons and cylinders are measured for operating temperatures.

You have three different metals with three different expansion rates. Aluminum will expand much faster than steel as it heats up. The theory is if you appy excessive force before all components have normalized in temperature then you could score the piston or cylinder, which in turn may lead to reduced engine life.

This is the reason your dealer stated to wait until it has warmed up.

Food for thought.

·
Registered
929 Posts
I wait till it hits 2 bars.
usually about the same time the gears on.

so do you guys rub chilli peppers on the tires to warm them up too like it says in the manual?

·
Registered
5,735 Posts
I seem to have a littler bit different method than everyone else. I usually put my helmet on then start it and only wait until I get my gloves on before I'm off. I usually have a bar on the gauge by then and I never hammer the throttle until I get out of the hood. The neighbors know where I live.

·
Registered
204 Posts
My dealer never gave me any warm up instructions. Mine gets as much warm up time as it takes for me to back it past a couple vehicles in my driveway and turn it around in my yard. I don't normally go down the road to fast as my neighbors are all either really old (don't pay much attention while driving) or have little kids (blindly chasing balls into the street). Have to wait a couple of blocks to feel a little safer.

rash

·
Registered
39 Posts
I am with the Engine Start, gloves on, pull away brigade. I am gentle with it until it has hit normal temp, by which time the tyres have a little bit of warmth in them and we are reaady to go :-D

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
I let mine go to 2 or 3 bars before leaving. I've got a nice straight down the hill in front of my house. The kids in the neighborhood love it when I loft the front a little leaving, so I do it. 30 mph and wack it.

[ This message was edited by: mglemans86 on 2006-12-01 10:38 ]

·
Registered
88 Posts
Mine is an '02 ST, but I use the same warmup ritual. Actually....on every bike Ive owned.

A great amount engine wear occurs when the engine is cold. Warming before takeoff is a good policy for longevity.

·
Registered
39 Posts
On 2006-11-30 15:21, bakwheeltango wrote:
I wait till it hits 2 bars.
usually about the same time the gears on.
Things are a bit different here in Phoenix: In the summer, I’ve gone out to my Sprint in late afternoon after work, and had 2 bars before starting the bike! :flam:

I keep a cover on her to protect her from the sun, but I can’t do anything about the heat . . . unless my boss will let me roll her into my cubicle :idea:

B.B. Bill

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
wow i guess i baby my sprint...

i wait until all 5 bars show up ( 50 percent heat ) till i roll.

i want my oil nice and hot before i rev up.

--Kory

1 - 20 of 23 Posts