Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have both leather and cordura jackets. Both are thickly padded and have thermal liners, but I find them not warm enough for 50F riding. I wore and undershirt and a pull over underneath the jacket.

Same with the gloves. I prefer not to have a heated jacket or grips.

Any input?

Joel

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I have found my two leather jackets to be much cooler than my Joe Rocket textile jacket. One leather jacket is a cheap one but heavy with a liner. The other is a Triumph leather jacket and also very heavy. The JR jacket is very light in comparison. I believe the cool air comes in under the Triumph leather jacket from the bottom even though it seems to fit as tightly as the JR jacket.

My temperature ranges for my jackets:

40--60 degrees.............Joe Rocket Textile
60--80 degrees.............Triumph Leather
80--105 degrees............First Gear Mesh

After I have worn the Triumph leather jacket enough times to discard it without thinking of the money wasted, I will just wear the JR jacket from 40--80 degrees...it's a lot more comfortable and the liner zips out and there are zip vents for weather that starts out cold and gets very hot in the afternoon.

Larry

·
Registered
426 Posts
"Underarmor" or similar high tech wicking fabrics are a glorious first layer. They make a BIG difference, whatever 2nd and 3rd layer follow. A belaclava is a great idea too. And sock liners.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Joel I ride in the So Cal mountains in the winter ,I know it's cold .I wear a leather jacket with a turtle neck shirt and a synthetic fleece jacket underneath.Gotta keep the neck warm and wind out./Use gauntlet gloves and tuck in your shirt so no air gats in below the jacket .

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Just tonight I picked up fleece glove liners made by redledge.com Can't wait to try them out.

And chaps, don't forget the chaps.
Add long johns if the boys get cold. :-D

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
I have an old Schott Perfecto leather jacket I bought used on Craigslist for next to nothing, and a Widder electric vest. I know you said you didn't want to go electric, but you may want to consider it.

The great thing is you don't have to add mulitple layers, you just switch on/off.

It cost about 150 bucks, and took just a few minutes to "install", there's one wire you connect to the battery.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Verticaltwin. You have to be very thin blooded and/or have poorly fitting/selected clothing. 50 is pretty warm for you to be so uncomfortable.

+1 many of the prior suggestions. I have a mesh jacket w/liner that I use for rides above 45-50 degrees and a leather jacket for colder rides. Layers as recommended. Long johns or similar, fleece/flannel shirt (and lined jeans?), good socks and boots, quality gloves, balaclava/scarf. This works for me. I can swap gloves as temps rise or lower during the day, take off long john shirt or sweater/pull over. I have a nylon T-bag that I can put gear in, tank bag or back pack would easily work too. Some great gear can be found at quality outdoors stores, extreme exposure, light weight and not bulky.

I do have a Triumph touring screen on my bike, you may want to try a screen for the colder months. I am comfortable from upper 30's.

Good luck. Hate to see anyone miss a great ride because they're uncomfortable.

BobW

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
On 2006-12-15 21:27, merlin wrote:
"Underarmor" or similar high tech wicking fabrics are a glorious first layer. They make a BIG difference, whatever 2nd and 3rd layer follow. A belaclava is a great idea too. And sock liners.
I agree - modern undergarments (thermolactyl - sp?) is self wicking and also does a wonderful job of holding in body heat. Some of the thinner polar fleece garments (turtle neck) are also a great help. Just don't buy stuff so thick, especially with turtle necks, that it becomes impossible to zip your jacket tightly.

One of the least expensive and most useful items I carry with me is a Chest Protector, made by Exigent. I bought this on a whim at the Cleveland Motorcycle Show, thinking that it didn't cost much, and if it didn't work .... oh, well ...$20 down the drain. To my surprise, it has been one of the nicest accessories I wear to combat cold weather (except for heated grips and vest). It keeps the wind from coming thru the neck of your jacket, and the polar fleece lining seems to hold body warmth.

Exigent Cold Weather Gear

Bob

·
Registered
204 Posts
I just don't know how you guys can think and move let alone work and ride motorbikes with so many layers of clothes.
It's 14 degrees Celcius here and that's cold enough to be wearing a shirt, sweater, pullover and jacket along with gloves. But you never need anything more than a normal pair of shoes and socks and jeans.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
A number of my friends have taken conventional leather motorcycle jackets and had a seamstress sew an electric vest into the liner. They claim it lowers the temperature at which they can ride to a significant degree. As for me, I use a Firstgear Kilimanjaro jacket with a Windshear fleece jacket underneath. It is a bit bulky, but is toasty, waterproof, and low-tech.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the input.

Heated vest and grip, I agree is the way to go.

I ended up buying an XL textile jacket and bundled up underneath. Still not warm enough. Fingers got really cold. Going at 60mph in 50F feels like 30F.

Gave up riding to work in early morning. Only ride when the weather gets to about 60F.

You guys up north, midwest and north east....you got balls!

Joel

·
Registered
195 Posts
You would be surprised how a full face helmet will keep you warm.

Cashmere turtleneck under the leather jacket works wonders.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Joel, if you have just your hands bothering you now, I was thinking you may need a larger size. I know that a tight fit helps keep protective gear in place and riding gloves are usually a snug fit, but AIR is your friend for insulation between layers. I take my winter gloves off when the air temp is anywhere near the 50s. They get too hot (no heated grips or covers). I just replaced my old gloves with some Triumph winter gloves. They're about $90.00 and work well. Held are about $200.00. Hippo hands are funky, but work really well too. Couple of those cheapy "hand warmer" chem packets you can use for a commute.

You can get comfortable gear, plug gaps with scarves, gauntlets etc. That nylon stuff looks good that Bob posted. You live in such a great part of the country with moderate temp ranges. Don't give up the quest!

·
Registered
212 Posts
If you want leather that assists in keeping you warm, you need to go with deerskin. For the most part, it's not the leather that keeps you warm, it's what you have underneath that does that job. Leathers first job is abrasion protection and its second job is to cut the wind, (which it does better than ANY fabric). I have been using a polypropelene / wool dual layer long underwear that is moisture wicking for several years and I highly recommend it. It can be found in the sporting goods sections of stores, stocked for hunters. dress pretty much normally over the long john. and zip in the insulated lining of your leather and you should be good to go in all but the coldest weather!

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Normal cold weather (30s/40's) I have a Feildsheer Touring jacket and pants. I can wear it over jeans or not. Thermal wear such as Underarmour works great. Under 30 riding gets the snowmobile bibs anddown jacket, which may make me look like a Michelin Man going down the road, but it works.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.