Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
Just my opinion re the Spanish TR533, the price is about right for an old stock piece. There was one for sale here in Switzerland for about the same money a few months ago. It might not be important to you but the TR533 will be stamped as such and will be easy to persuade the feds that this shock is built and certified for the bike. The custom build from Wim is technically identical (made from the same parts on the data sheet) but not stamped TR533, so I have to jump through a couple of hoops to have it approved for the bike, plus it is a bit more spendy of course.

If it were me all over again I might make a bit of effort to contact the Spaniards and get a feel for them, just to save the few hundred euros. I don't believe fraudsters would make much money pretending to flog bits for these bikes, especially as it's not an 'unbelievable' price that would have people throwing caution to the wind to get it.

All that being said the piece from Wim is a thing of beauty and performs very very well.
Don't forget to have your forks rebuilt while you have the thing in pieces. Makes a huge difference, especially with Alcons, which are stupendously fierce.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
skidmarx.co.uk have my money and are making me a carbon rear hugger. This may sound a little soft but feel bad for Geelong as they really helped out with my questions but I couldn't pass up a £200 saving on the part.....

However if the skidmarx part comes in ****ty I'll ebay it & go with the aussies.

Now.... off to start a chat with those spanish chappies over that tr533.

If I save £200 on the carbon and €200 on the shock I'm part way on the road to a new set of FCR39, that if I'm to believe what I've read, are worth the effort.

Till next time......

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Good luck with the hugger, it's a pity they couldn't do a front mudguard to go with it.

A £200 saving should ease your guilt.

Let us know how you get on with it, i may give them a call myself.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
chello, I'll post up picks before I fit it fella. They said it'll take about 2 weeks to get the hugger out to me. Something about still scrubbing the layers of dust out of the mould.

:D

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
cheers,

look forward to seeing how it turns out. i'll let you know if i hear of any gold alcons for sale.

Chello

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Well well well, what an eventfull week. The TR 533 is in the post from toocks. The responce I got from them was very professional. The part is an old stock verified TR 533 and they knew more about importing VAT laws than I did, also what they said checked out on the gov VAT help website.

Not only that I had to jump through hoops to get my funds released to them.

Now my CC is glowing white hot I might need to take a couple of days gathering myself before resuming the parts hunt!

Mind you Mot for £45 your calipers do look apealing.

steady silkie steady! :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
Those aren't mine Silkie...but I'd be happy to help out if I can, I rebuilt a few pairs before and tbh the seals are generally ok...new caliper to caliper seals I would use and hopefully all the pistons are servicable, with a set of stainless caliper bolts and bleed nipples they would do a turn ;-)

·
Registered
187 Posts
I followed MOT's write-up on the SS line/Tokico 6-pot updrade and am very happy with the results.Bought a good condition set for on ebay for $100.00US with very serviceable pads included.Cleaned,lubed,inspected calipers,bolted up lines and viola,an easy 50% increase in stopping power.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Also, the Tokico's are better in the fact that they don't drag the rotors as much as the Alcons.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
If the Alcon deal dosn't come through the Tokico's will be the alternative solution.

Buckwheat, Interested in your thoughts around rota drag. What's your basis for this opinion?

I'd be suprised if any brake caliper would create much drag if setup correctly. Still, I'm happy to read up on why it's a problem with the alcons.

P.S. The Ohlin order "shipped" Friday!! Should get it next week!!!! :D Carbon hugger shouldn't be far behind it in the mail.

·
Registered
575 Posts
?..
Buckwheat, Interested in your thoughts around rota drag. What's your basis for this opinion?

I'd be suprised if any brake caliper would create much drag if setup correctly. Still, I'm happy to read up on why it's a problem with the alcons.

P.S. The Ohlin order "shipped" Friday!! Should get it next week!!!! :D Carbon hugger shouldn't be far behind it in the mail.
Heck, I base the statement upon a comparison of pushing the bikes around the shop. This was first mentioned to me by Mickey Cohen who maintains Triumph's test fleet in the USA as well as being a previous racer of the USA Speed Triple Challenge Series. I know that I didn't like hearing the news from him either.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Thanks for getting back to us on this Buckwheat. Sounds like Mikey's opinion is valuable considering his experiance. However The Alcons have a cool factor that outway anything negative I've read.

:cool:

·
Registered
575 Posts
Thanks for getting back to us on this Buckwheat. Sounds like Mikey's opinion is valuable considering his experiance. However The Alcons have a cool factor that outway anything negative I've read.

:cool:
Oh yes, true that. Just so we all know what we're dealing with.
I'm not looking to part with mine! :D

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I'm not one for gloating but look what landed at my front door today!!!!

Good times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:Happy

Attachments

·
Registered
575 Posts
I'm not one for gloating but look what landed at my front door today!!!!

Good times!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:Happy
Nice indeed. Want to trade a stock shock & a Hagon for it?:jestera

21 - 40 of 61 Posts