Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

thats "only" 12,300 miles on stock filter. I also changed the plugs, they looked pretty good, gaps were all still in spec. But the number 1 plug looked to have gotten water past the coil seal at some point. It had corrosion build up around the top of the cam cover to coil seal. the spark plug was also rusted. I lubed all the coils' seals. the other two looked new. From reading the plugs; they appear to be running just a tad rich (not bad considering the state of the air filter). I ordered a K&N today from my buddy's local bike shop for 40 bucks :D. Triumph here in East Tennessee is closed Sun/Mon/Tues. and BikeBandit wanted 32 for a stock air filter. So for 8 more dollars sans shipping and handling I'll go K&N, I know, I know,,, all the people talking about K&N is "junk". but I dont flog my bike half as hard as DaveM rides his, so I should be fine ;). And before OnD jumps onto me and has to put the popcorn down :D, I did use the air compressor to blow out all the crud from the wells, before removing the plugs, and used anti seize on the new plugs. I pick up the new filter tomorrow so I have socks over the velocity stacks, while she waits for the parts. I also noted/marked all my connectors, and which plug to use on the fuel pump. So hopefully, I get this thing put back together right the first time, and will not have to post questions or use the search (in that order) LOL

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
I bought a KN for exactly that reason. The air filters last maybe 6000kms on these bikes and they are expensive so a washable filter is the way to go.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
I would say that if your filter looked like that at 12K, you should consider changing/servicing it at shorter intervals. The 12k interval is Triumph's estimate of normal service.

·
Registered
165 Posts
you must have the off road version of the ST...my filter was spotless @ 12k, but I still swapped it out for a re-usable unit for the reasons Calliway stated

·
Registered
267 Posts
you must have the off road version of the ST...my filter was spotless @ 12k, but I still swapped it out for a re-usable unit for the reasons Calliway stated
+1 on that, In fact I saved my old 'dirty" one as a swapout if needed when I put in the K&N.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I got most of the crud on the trip to Indy MotoGp and back. I rode up in the rain, and back through hurricane Ivan. driving rain, and 65 MPH crosswinds (like an idiot). most of it seemed to be spent diesel fuel from the big rigs. 400+ miles in heavy rain, you know the filter was soaked, and was trapping all the soot from the big rigs on the road. I got the K&n tonight, and the fit is less than desirable. It looks to have been made too wide on the mold. the mounting tabs do not match up. they are off by 1/8th of an inch, leaving at least 1/16 of an air gap between the filter and mount area. (yes I switched the gasket out per instructions) but the gasket surface does not match up to the sealing area either. Time to return it. I would try to dremel it to fit, but it should fit out of the box.

·
Registered
196 Posts
You could also do the OnD high-performance stock filter mod...not to be confused with the high-performance popcorn box mod

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
Just think how well that filter performed, stoppin all that crxp from going into your bores. And you want to replace it with a washable item that has been proven time and time again to not be as effective as the original ? Well, at least it won't get as dirty ... :p

1 - 10 of 10 Posts