Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first bought my Thrux I wanted to eliminate the fender immediately........Luckliy I didn't because over the past two months I have really grown to like it and have decided to keep it. The problem is I really hate the rear light and turn signals.....They're so big and bulky. I like how the rear fender elongates the look of the Thrux but I want to change the bulky lights.

Has anybody done this? Are there any suggestions on lights that will fit back there? Can I by any lights from custom websites?

If I have to I will just go with the mini fender form Bella because it still provides a little elongation to the bike, but I would like to try and keep the stock fender. Bear in mind that I don't have any fabrication experience and even though I am willing to experiment I am lacking in the equipment department.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
use the Lucas aluminum tailight and any dinky winkers
you can use the rear signal light bracket from the original set up just cut it off
you will need to drill some holes but the light will cover them

·
Registered
404 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I saw Shrums job....He did do a great job. I don't know if I am brave enough to try cutting my fender though. I will probably just keep looking for diffferent rear lights. I do like you lucas style tailight though.....Didn't like the looks of it on the website, but it actually looks pretty good in the picture on your bike.

I would love to try the cat eye rear light, but what kind of work would that involve?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I think you can get just about any light to fit - with some modification. If you find something you really dig, it's probably worth the effort. And cutting the fenders is really a simple task.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I saw Shrums job....He did do a great job. I don't know if I am brave enough to try cutting my fender though. I will probably just keep looking for diffferent rear lights. I do like you lucas style tailight though.....Didn't like the looks of it on the website, but it actually looks pretty good in the picture on your bike.

I would love to try the cat eye rear light, but what kind of work would that involve?

Here's a link to my fender bob project including the wiring hook up and the fabrication on the tail light assembly I got from Sean at British Customs. Look, if I can do it out here in the boonies with a bear minimum of tools and know how[:rolleyes:] you can too...no biggie. Me, I like the Cat's Eye for looks and function, and it was the icing on the cake for the fender bob/turn signal project.

http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/100541-rear-fender-bob-and-lighting-project.html

·
Registered
395 Posts
When I first bought my Thrux I wanted to eliminate the fender immediately........Luckliy I didn't because over the past two months I have really grown to like it and have decided to keep it. The problem is I really hate the rear light and turn signals.....They're so big and bulky. I like how the rear fender elongates the look of the Thrux but I want to change the bulky lights.

Has anybody done this? Are there any suggestions on lights that will fit back there? Can I by any lights from custom websites?

If I have to I will just go with the mini fender form Bella because it still provides a little elongation to the bike, but I would like to try and keep the stock fender. Bear in mind that I don't have any fabrication experience and even though I am willing to experiment I am lacking in the equipment department.

Thanks
I got ready to ditch my rear fender too but in the end I decided to keep it. I may reduce the thickness of it a bit. I think I will buy the bolt on lucas tail light and signals from newthruxton and be done with it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
newbonneville.com lucas style light

I just ordered a Lucas style taillight from Newbonneville.com that bolts right on to the stock fender, into the same stock holes..no cutting or drilling. Also came with a new wiring harness, so no wire splicing. I'm mounting the Lucas indicators (2" stems) at the shock mounts and long stems up front.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I just ordered a Lucas style taillight from Newbonneville.com that bolts right on to the stock fender, into the same stock holes..no cutting or drilling. Also came with a new wiring harness, so no wire splicing. I'm mounting the Lucas indicators (2" stems) at the shock mounts and long stems up front.

Would love to see pics of this when you're done. I'm thinking of doing this as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts