Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Even the mighty Kawasaki have had to admit defeat with air cooled engines and the new new emission regulations , they have announced they are finishing production of a truly beautiful bike that had me smitten but sadly very small and I could not ride it because it sent me into a cramp every time I tested it . Certain bikes just do that to me . I just wonder how it will affect the last remaining air cooled bikes out there ?

·
Registered
613 Posts
That is a sad story.
The W800 and the W650 before it, did a great job of capturing the classic appeal of sixties twins. It’s a shame that poor sales killed the 650 here in the US. Kawasaki never did brought the W800 to the US.

Who can say that the Big K won’t introduce a new bike that retains the same great appearance but has the hybrid air/water cooling like Triumphs new twins. The classic market is heating up with Triumph’s resent successful models.

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
I think some will continue to be produced but with severely restricted power outputs to scrape by the regs, stuff like the Yamaha SR400, Royal Enfield, Urals, Chinese up to 250cc bikes that are still being churned out by the million, etc.

·
Registered
259 Posts
One of those was on my short list when I decided to slow down with old age. They are truly a wonderful bike, but just didn't do it enough for me. They are reasonably well priced in the used market over here, but I think the price will creep up now they will be no more. Same for all of the bigger air cooled motors in limited market segments. If the volume is high enough the manufacturers will do the required design changes, but it becomes a costing exercise against forecast sales and I think triumph have cornered the market with the new water cooled bikes in the retro range.. In the race to have the biggest cubic inch motor, air cooled is fast becoming past its use by date, although HD and Moto Guzzi are masters at it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Back in 2000 I showed so much interest at the local dealership that they ordered two W650's. After they came in I test rode one and bought a ZR-7 (I also started working there). The W650's languished on the showroom floor for a couple years. They had to be sold below dealer cost just to move them. Neat bike but a little overpriced.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts