Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My clip-ons arrived. Anyone know the install procedure on a 2008?
The center nut looks like about 36mm. I'll try to put them on with out relocating the guages. They may be low enough to clear.

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
Raise bike on under-yoke stand & drop forks through triple clamps. Should be less work than removing handlebars & top clamp.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem with that is you effectively shorten the forks and change the bikes stability.

·
Registered
369 Posts
You missed the point! He was tellin you to loosen the pinch bolts on the triple trees and let the fork legs drop down just enough to slip in your "clip on's" fit into the gap between the bottom of the top tree and the top of the fork tube. After you slip them in, push the fork legs back up through the clip-on ring and back into the original position on the top tree. Then with the clip-on's in and fork legs in position retighten the pinch bolts. His point was that all that would be easier than changing the handlebars and risers. AM I RIGHT MARTIN R!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU DA MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ah...yes...I see said the blind man. Duh...I thought he was saying slide the fork legs up above the Triple tree and attach them on top.
Ya...that's a great way to do it. Problem is I don't have a front stand so I'll have to rig something up.
Thanks

·
Registered
369 Posts
Rig it. If you can imagine a way to get the weight off the front end using all the tools and enviroment available while keeping the weight on the back down or balanced then who needs stands. Use tie downs, wood blocks, Jack stands and earth if you half to. You don't need the "bike specific" stands to acomplish the job.

·
Registered
191 Posts
when I put my clip-ons on, I used a bike jack to lift the bike (which took some shimming to evenly distribute the weight on the oil pan
) and used my paddok stand with weights on it, to hold the back end down and stabilize the bike.

FYI watch the clearance on the headlights....if you position the clamps just right, you can miss the instrument cluster by 3/16" and only tap the lights at full lock. And be prepared for an aggresive body posture with the vortexes 0" raise. Youll also have to work with the cables. The biggest one to keep an eye on it the throttle cable. I actually split the outer sheath on mine by having it bent to too sharp of a radius.....k, im drunk and going to bed now! lol:p

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep...I have the "0" rises. I am prepared to assume the Ducati position.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts