Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all the cafe-enthousiasts... I am new here but probably from now on a daily visitor.

I am fully exploring all the different aspects of buying a new motorcycle.
The triumph Thruxton is my premier choice (actually, it's my only choice).
One of the things to consider is the guarantee. I asked my local dealer here
in Belgium how a cosmetic modification on the bike would affect my
guarantee. He said that the bike had to stay original. That seems to me an
unlogical theory. For me, it looks pretty obvious when a mod affects other
components on the bike. More important... Is a caferacer not supposed to be
modded? I think it would be a serious contradiction in the concept of the
bike if the guarantee is indeed void after some mods.

I hope someone can give me an answer i want to hear....

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Welcome to the forum. A lot will depend on the particular dealer. Mods such as bars , paint, levers, tires, should not affect your warranty. My dealer gave me the new Thrux shocks on the recall and I wasn't even using the originals, but had Hagons on the bike. Some dealers are very liberal and others - well not so much. The individual you spoke with sounds like the later.

John

·
Banned
798 Posts
There must be a corporate position on this. It couldn't actually be left up to dealerships to interpret 1000 different ways. At least it doesn't make sense to me. Afterall, Triumph itself sells "non-stock" parts to enhance or change their bikes, that alone would be in opposition to what this particular dealer told Dimitri.

Dimitri, I'd ask that dealer to give you the "written" rules from Triumph regarding modification that he is paraphrasing to you. I'll bet you he shuts his pie-hole on that subject pretty quick....or waffles pretty hard at least.

??kjazz??

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick reply's

I was thinking the same way. I tried to find an e-mail-adress from triumph itself to get some info from the company, but the website does not provide an e-mail.

It could be that the point is not the modding, but the person who performs the modding. It would probably be ok if i let the dealer do them.

Anyway, i will try to get some information regarding the guarantee on paper. And discuss the mods i want to do as much as possible in advance with my dealer.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Over here the way it usually works is that unless your mod caused the malfunction your warranty (guarantee) won't be affected. IE...you rejet your carbs and burn a valve you aren't covered but a broken speedo will be covered.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
I'm no lawyer but .... ultimately Triumph UK underwrites the guarantee. Generally manufacturer's guarantees are voided if you modify the vehicle in any way except by using factory approved parts. (Triumph bar end mirrors for example). But as Thrux-ton-up points out the dealer sees you as a customer and may exercise some discretion. On the plus side I've seen very few guarantee claims discussed in this forum and there are a lot of modded Thruxtons running around. It seems that you should be reasonably safe if you go with the tried and tested "forum mods". If you're looking to do serious mechanical mods why not buy a used bike? From a personal point of view I bought a new Thruxton that has been "forum modified" (see my album) and have had absolutely no problems 10,000 km later.

·
Registered
230 Posts
My dealer doesn't void the warranty for anything cosmetic including removing engine side covers for polishing....

To void your warranty they have to prove that anything you have done had to have effected the engine causing what ever negative may have been resulted.

Jeremy Kieler :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :-D :cool:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the usefull reply's.
I guess everybody is a little bit right here and much of these cases will depend on goodwill and thrust probably.

I can understand when a dealer gets a question about void warranty from a new customer, he answers a little bit carefully. After all he can't see that i am going to treat the bike better than the wife :cool:

Anyway.. If everything goes well, next week the new thruxton will be ordered. I'll ask the dealer again with some examples and see what he's saying.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts