Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a nice lead (100 miles away) on a 1973 Tiger. Did some web research but still have questions for that model year. First, I'm only 5'6" -- barely tall enough for my dry-frame TR6 (seat height of 30.5"). Anyone know the seat height on a '73 Tiger? Was the tall OIF frame still being used in '73 or had it been lowered? Any special or major problems for the '73 750 come to mind? Both a 724 cc then a 744 cc motor were available that year. How does one tell which is which? Was it the '73 that had the infamous brittle gears in the 5-speed box? Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
31 Posts
73 was the first year of the new "lower" frame, I believe all 73 models were 724cc with the 744cc engine coming out in 74 the gears sorry i don't know anything about that. Gearhead

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Seat height 32", according to my 1973 Triumph Owner's Handbook [got the book but not the bike]. It shows the capacity as 744 cc's.
A friend had one, but a Bonneville, and I recall no problems out of the usual oil leaks, loose bolts, and intermittent electrics. Other than that, no problems! :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info gearhead and David. Going to look at the bike tomorrow evening. Disappointed that the '73 lowered frame still had a 32" seat height. Probably a bit too tall for me, but can always lower rear shocks a bit.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
GO for it. I used to ride a 71 bonnie which was the taller version of the OIF bikes. I 'm 5'6" with a 30" inseam and didn't even notice. I don't know what is so important about being able to have both feet flat on the ground while sitting on the bike. These bikes are light enough that it is easy to keep them balanced with one foot on the ground.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Speaking of seat heights, what is the height of a 1978 model 750 bonnie??? I am pushed on my BMW with 31 1/2 "s

·
Registered
5,847 Posts
From the 73 Service Manual Part # 99-0983 (my copy published May 73)
bore and stroke 75X82mm
cubic capacity 724cc(44 cu in)
bore ans stroke (after engine No's T140V XH 22019 and TR7V AH 24040) 76x82mm
cubic capacity after those VIN numbers was 747cc (45cu in)
seat height listed as 31 1/2 in (80cm)
I believe the 5 spd gearbox problem was strickly with the pre 73 bikes
Factory Service Bulletin 1/73 advised dealers that the new heavier gearbox had been fitted to all 73's

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Helpful information from all. Kadutz, many thanks for the detailed info -- big help. TR6.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts