Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
http://www.cnn.com/2009/TRAVEL/getaways/01/29/retro.london/index.html

No mention of Triumph in this article or the Ace Cafe but there must be a connection. What do you guys think?

(Travel + Leisure) -- From Fitzrovia to Covent Garden, London is embracing its charming -- and sometimes cheeky -- past. Every era, from the roaring '20s to the swinging '60s, is represented, with new takes on old-fashioned locales: chip and sweets shops, hidden Prohibition-style hangouts, even ballrooms.
The shelves at Hope and Greenwood, in Covent Garden, are filled with glass jars brimming with British sweets.

The shelves at Hope and Greenwood, in Covent Garden, are filled with glass jars brimming with British sweets.

But rather than flaunt themselves as fusty Churchillian relics, these new spots are drawing stylish Bright Young Things who can't get enough of the city's collective nostalgia trip. They're celebrating inspired design, tastes and bygone lifestyles with zeal.

Geales, in Notting Hill, is the ideal spot to start -- or end -- an evening on the town, London-style. Now a shadow of its former 1939 no-frills self, the newly renovated fish and chips shop is giving a lighter gourmet twist to an old London standby; golden, delicately fried cod and haddock is the restaurant's main event, supported by more elegant briny treats like raw oysters and classic shrimp cocktail.

No matter where you go in London town these days, vintage style is everywhere. What's old is new -- again! -- in England's retro-mad city.

·
29,948 Posts
I think your thread title scared the living daylights out of me. I thought it was a spam attack and came rushing to delete it! :D

Ahhh - people love nostalgia. Me too. Bring on Austin Powers.

EDIT: Title sorted for you Sal, no worries.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Not sure about the "hidden Prohibition-style hangouts", we didn't have prohibition here. Perhaps they're a retro import from the US! I work in London, and it sounds like marketing BS to me. Jap bikes still outnumber Triumphs many times over, although the triples are quite popular and there are a few Bonnies and Thruxtons around. The bulk of two wheeled usage in the city is by dispatch riders on grimey Jap bikes and commuters on scooters.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Love it. London is one of the coolest places in the world and a center for many fads. I have a book on all the rock and roll haunts in London that takes you from the early years, through to the classic rock and into pre modern rock and punk. It has all the venue's, clubs and lofts where are the English greats got their start, lived or hung out. Its a great read and one day I will head over and visit some of these places.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Its all utter hog wash,don't believe a word.Sounds like some travel book extract for Americans trying to persuade them to come to quaint old England....The only thing thats quaint and retro in old London town are the holes in the road!

·
Premium Member
2,183 Posts
London is a festering cesspool and the Ace Cafe, whilst doing a cracking fry-up, is in one of the ****tiest parts of outer London. I know, I used to live 5 miles from it. Besides, CNN is a piece of crap that tries to pass itself off as a news channel (second only to Fox). Scum the lot of them. Wouldn't know news if it molested their sister

·
Registered
198 Posts
Yep London is the worst place i've ever visited,been loads of times. I took my bike up there twice, first time as a courier and got completely lost for an hour even with an A to Z, second time to visit a museum and got fined £60 for parking in an empty street. Traffic is chaos, people are mainly foreigners so dont ask for directions. The air is pure filth and everything is expensive. Chinese in Soho is the best in UK though.
Nah stay away unless you know a good destination, 1 day and you'll be exhausted by it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
London is a festering cesspool and the Ace Cafe, whilst doing a cracking fry-up, is in one of the ****tiest parts of outer London. I know, I used to live 5 miles from it. Besides, CNN is a piece of crap that tries to pass itself off as a news channel (second only to Fox). Scum the lot of them. Wouldn't know news if it molested their sister
Never been to Ace Cafe, all the bikers are proud to say they've visited, wear the patch etc.. cant see any cafe on earth being that good, now if they had strippers and jacuzzi (just for me) hmm...

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
Not sure about the "hidden Prohibition-style hangouts", we didn't have prohibition here.
Boy, am I glad to hear you say that. I was starting to wonder what semester of European history I missed. No worries, off to read about the Australian Confederacy and the war of Northern Territory Aggression! :p

Actually, U.S. Prohibition was quite good for the UK. It did wonders for Scottish Whisky sales. So here's to prohibition! :icon_drink:

Darn it, how do we still not have a whisky smiley? :mad:

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
The Ace is in ash**tty part of London but its the history of it and its place in Bike folklore that makes it what it is.

As for London I love to visit but I'd rather live in the much maligned capital of the Midlands, Birmingham. All the Big city fun without the stupid attitude.

Retro? well I ride a Thruxton but then I've always been retro. as for London being in a retro craze well I reckon if it is, its cos of the high level of foreigners living there. Doubt the majority of Brits are retro crazy. I always thought it was just a few wierdos like me!

·
Registered
352 Posts
Yup - go there when I have to (for work) but that's about the top and bottom of it. Great to visit (some parts) - but I certainly don't get dewy eyed about the place. If you do have to drive there then a bike's definitely the business.
And it's only 'retro' if it was modernised away and then went back to in stylistic time out of a sense of something lost.
Most of it's just old cak...

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Well of course the Ace is in a run down area, it started life as a truckers cafe on the ring road, DOH! London has some fantastic places, so has Paris Berlin Et AL, its also very cheap for you Murcans to visit right now so if you want to see London come now, but it is just a big old place with History course its got good and bad bits name somewhere that has'nt.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Walking down either Baker st or Regent st 1 day and saw a tramp having a dump by the side of the road - just about sums London up.
One day there'll be green fields there again hopefully.

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
In my experience green fields are often covered in Sh*t! Cow Sh*t, Horse sh*t, Sheep sh*t, Dog sh*t! I'm sure regent street is less sh*tty than the majority of green fields:D

·
29,948 Posts
And in fact that sight is probably less disturbing than watching some 6'5" 350 pound drug addled person puking his guts out all over the sidewalk outside the transit station in Minneapolis, while I am waiting for the pub to open at 8.00am so that I can watch England vs Ireland rugby. It's all a matter of opinion of course, but the tramp HAD to go somewhere - the drug addict didn't HAVE to get addicted.

EDIT: on reflection I'm not sure why I posted this, but it seemed like a good idea at the time.

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
EDIT: on reflection I'm not sure why I posted this, but it seemed like a good idea at the time.
They always do, don't they; speaking of which, I've just discovered the one thing that makes Terry Pratchett even funnier. A beer or two. God bless that brilliant man.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts