Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking into alternatives for the OEM speedo (and tach) for my '04 Bonneville.

I've checked out the mini-speedos and am considering one but was wondering if the vintage Smith's speedos and tachs can be fitted/adapted to the modern Bonnevilles.

If not info on other alternatives would be appreciated.

Thanks,
SoSLO

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
60's Smiths instruments won't easily work. The tach is mechanical and driven off the exhuast camshaft, and the speedo is driven off the rear wheel at a different ratio than our newer bikes.

Dick

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sweet speedo sweatmachine

I figured there would be issues with fitting old gauges but thought it'd be worth a quick inquiry.

sweathmachine - that is both one radical bonnie and those speedometers are truly sweet. bit pricey and I haven't looked to see if they also make them in mph as well as the kmph they showed on the site.

Thanks again to THE forum for info on just about anything Bonneville.:cool:

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I've got this little speedometer on my Bonneville - bought it at MikesXS for $44. Works great, more accurate than a stock unit.

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
sweathmachine - that is both one radical bonnie and those speedometers are truly sweet. bit pricey and I haven't looked to see if they also make them in mph as well as the kmph they showed on the site.
thanks for the compliment! Yes, they do make the gauge in mph. It runs about $700 US last time I checked...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's what I'm talking about!

DavidC,

That's what I'm talking about. Slick classic look and a price you gotta love. Heck - I might be able to fish it out of my wife's latte budget if she's not looking to close!:D

Were there any mods you needed to make or extra bits to buy or was it pretty much bolt on?

Thanks!

SoSLO

·
Registered
131 Posts
That looks pretty awesome.
Took alot of the bulkiness out and looks more vintage.
Do you happen to have any side shots??

I've got this little speedometer on my Bonneville - bought it at MikesXS for $44. Works great, more accurate than a stock unit.

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
David,

Is that one of Seth's mounts? Nice looking speedo. Very clean install. I'm partial to this one, but the idiot lights do make it a bit less tidy:

http://tinyurl.com/kvtrqt

There's a matching tachometer that I'll have to get since I gotta have the classic dual clock look.

Cheers,

--Rich

1 - 10 of 10 Posts