Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new here and this looks like a great resource. I look forward to learning a lot.

I have a 1970 T100C which I need to get titled and registered. It didn't come with a title because I purchased it from a guy in Rhode Island and a title was not necessary on a bike of that vintage. I'm going to attempt to title it in PA (where I live now) and need some help figuring out what to request that the title say with respect to VIN number. Is the proper format T100C DDXXXX (unsure on the right number of characters) or is it DDXXXXT100C?

I know I've got some hoops to jump through. I just want to get started on the right foot. Is the "T100C" even part of what would be considered the "VIN" for my purposes? or should it just be the year and month and then the number? (DDXXXXX)...

Thanks very much, I do appreciate any help. I've searched for similar threads but no one's spelled it out with the specificity I need and it's not obvious from either the frame or the engine. (the T100C is all over the place in both locations, so I don't know if it should go in front or in back or not at all)

Tom

·
Registered
118 Posts
recently went through this in ohio and it requires both vin and engine number.
there may be 2 different numbers if the engine or frame were changed.
all it takes is a registered inspection from a dealer or a license bureau in writing.
you then take the paper work to a state license or title bureau and all is sey
at least that's the way my state does it
to simplify things, i paid a local cycle dealer 25.00 for travel time and 20.00 for the effort as she came to the house for the inspection......

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting... In PA we do it all at an agent, not at the DMV. Last time I spoke with her, she said she could issue me a plate prior to the title issue being completely settled, but I need to know the correct format for the VIN in order to get insurance, in order to get a plate. I know all the numbers and mine match, I just don't know if it goes: T100CDDXXXXX or DDXXXXXT100C or just DDXXXXX.

But I did read your thread about this issue. I just hope everything will come together. I have asked the seller (the transaction took place in 2006, it's been untitled/unregistered since then) if he'd mind reproducing a bill of sale. I'd like to see if getting it notarized would be enough proof of ownership for PA. Hope so... Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
118 Posts
here again Tom, in ohio all we needed was the number off the frame neck that is actually stamped and not cast in place and that exact number is what is on the title.....T20sm974## was on this frame and it matched the motor #
the inspector made out the paper work and notarized the whole thing at my home. made everything a walk through at the agency.....
a bill of sale may or may not help,idunno, sorry

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
I would write it down just as it appears on the frame and motor. My old '72, for example, JG32751T100R was the way it came from the factory.

Weird how the "village idiot" can still remember that, and then forget to pick something up at the store, when "SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED" told him to do it only and hour before: Jim

·
Registered
56 Posts
My New York registration just includes the VIN number (DDXXXXX) - not the model number. PO's registration was done the same.
Good luck!
Matt

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
The same thing was done by folks here in MA, but in the end, the model # was considered part of the serial # as it was stamped in. Actually, that's probably the only way the factory could designate the model for registration. Just the letters and numbers only could apply to any of the models, if you think about it.

Anyway, that's just the "village idiot's" take on it: Jim

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks fellas so according to Jim, it's DDXXXXXT100C. Is that the consensus? Thanks a lot guys. I appreciate the help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts