Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See lots of maintenance procedures and parts with annotation "to VINXXXXX" or "after VINXXXXX". Which XXXXX are we talking about?
The last string of numbers?
EXAMPLE: SMT361CE93JXXXXXX
What do all the other characters mean?

:brick:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool link! Especially at the bottom where the you enter the VIN and get it de-coded.
So based on that, "The Temptress" is always in the "VINXXXXX and later" category because she has 6 digits vs 5.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Vin # ???

I cannot find the VIN on my 70 T100c ? Any one knows where it is ?
All I have is matching engine/frame # AD36936
Thanks

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
The VIN should be on the front frame downtube (clutch side) stamped on a raised pad. If it was like my '72 T100R and my present '70 Tiger, it should have 2 letters, 5 numbers and then T100C at the end. Does yours read: AD36936T100C? If so, that's it. As it matches the number stamped on the engine pad, I'd say that's it.

Hopefully, the "village idiot" has helped you: Jim

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey Jim,
Thanks for the consideration, I gave this # as the VIN and it came back to me as being only the engine serial number. I have an elevated plate on the top left of the front tube but it is the frame number /engine number. I was told it is a 17 digit number?:confused:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just read that the 17 Digit VIN number came into action in the 80's.
The engine/Frame number were in use for that purpose before
I guess I need to talk again to the bureaucratie :p
Today I kicked it and it coughed. Not a full start but a lot of hope for tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
A lot of people registered and sold their old bikes thinking that the model designation was just that, and not part of the VIN. Actually, it is part of it and should be included if it's on the frame pad. The matching engine # only confirms, happily, that this frame and engine were mated at the factory when it was built.

Check everything carefully: Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts