Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Triumph bikes are stamped with a 17 digit VIN. For example, my "UK" bike VIN is:

SMTTJ9157GAxxxxxx

where I've inserted the letter x for the last 6 digits.

A discussion about the VIN can be found on the following Wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_identification_number

The article sates:

"One consistent element of the VIS is the 10th digit, which is required worldwide to encode the model year of the vehicle."

In the case of my VIN this appears to be the 11th digit; ie "A", which is equal to 2010.

Regarding the Plant Code it states:

"Another consistently-used element (which is compulsory in North America) is the use of the 11th character to encode the factory of manufacture of the vehicle."

which appears to digit 10 in my VIN and letter "G".

Does anyone know of the complete list of Plant Codes for modern Triumphs?

Also, if anyone knows of a complete VIN decoder for Triumphs then it would be greatly appreciated since there are other parts of my VIN that I cannot decipher based on the information in the Wiki article. I suspect that this is due to the Wiki article having a US bias.

·
Registered
208 Posts
American's VIN is not exactly the same than European's VIN. In the European VIN, the plant Code is the fifth digit. J for Jacknell Road, Hinckley and T for Chonburi, Thailand. So, with SMTTJ....your bike has been assembled in Hinckley.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Look at the sticky at the top of this forum titled "Where is my Triumph made?" It has a whole bunch of info regarding the VIN information.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Interesting - my 2011 Scrambler has the VIN SMTTJ9178GBxxxxx which makes sense as the 11th digit is B instead of your A making it a year newer.

Certain that my bike was assembled in Thailand and so also certain that the J does not stand for Jacknell Road!

Would be good if someone could come up with the definitive vin decoder :smile2:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found this website that provides info about VINs:

http://www.triumphnet.com/st/faq/vin/index.html

and according to their info:

SMT - Triumph id
TJ - model type
915 - model number
7 - ??
G - final drive ratio; ie 18/43, which is correc
A - year of manufacture; ie 2010
last 6 digits - chassis number

I suspect they'd like to not include the plant number in the VIN so as to give the elusion their bike is made in the UK, when it is made elsewhere, or not explicitly state where a bike is made.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looking at the suggested Sticky and the letter from the marketing manager in the US, it suggests that it is as I suspected in that the VIN does not provide a definitive answer as to where a bike is assembled.

It's of interest because I've seen several people refer to their bike's VIN to determine where they think it was assembled.

·
Premium Member
7,031 Posts
FWIW this dates from 2008 but it may help - it is the information Triumph sent to the US NHTSA regarding how they use the VIN codes:

ftp://ftp.nhtsa.dot.gov/mfrmail/ORG4230.pdf

The 11th digit is plant code. At that time there were 2 assembly plants (Hinkley and Chonburi). I believe that number has increased since then so there may now be other codes but may be wrong.

It is also possible they may use a different VIN protocol for non US bikes.

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
Well..., it may be that your sticky doesn't apply to USDOT VIN's. :cool: "Might" be fine for the UK market..., "maybe"...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Clearly the VIN is a mess as a global standard from which an owner can determine certain information from such as year of manufacture, assembly plant, etc.

From what I've read no one can state with absolute confidence the information the VIN is supposed to encapsulate.

What a nonsense "standard".

Next time I read "...my bike was assembled in the UK because the VIN says so..." I'll have a little chuckle.

PS. Spelling checked twice!

·
Registered
980 Posts
I'm with you, in fact I've already been raked over the coals for a spelling error on another thread. It's somewhat humourous that the main critic was Tricolour, the man with the ungrammatical sentence on page one of this thread.

Glass Houses!

Glen

·
Registered
747 Posts
If you want to know where your Triumph WAS MADE JUST GO TO: https://uk.vin-info.com/
Enter your vin and a page will pop up showing you exactly what country your bike was assembled in. More info is available for a $2.50 fee
end of thread :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
checking my vin plate, as my bonny has model code 910 as the code, according to the attached doc shown previously in post \8, it is actually a bonneville t100 and not a bonneville, though is all respects it seems to be a bonneville.

rather annoyingly I argued with the insurers that it was just a 2007 bonny and not a bonny t100 as they had it on their system

·
Registered
71 Posts
Pro-Active looking for parts and price in World of Triumph site. my Bike is a 2012 Bonneville T100 AIR COOLED, Vin SMTTJ9157XXXX.

am a bit confused on the WOT site/Parts. they have Bonneville T100 EFI, Bonneville T100, Bonneville T100 Black (guess its same except parts comes in Black). what is the difference between Bonnevillle T100 EFI and Bonneville T100 (tot it was EFI already) than.

Appreciate could share which of the site should i choose when getting/identifying parts from WOT based on my 2012.

Much appreciate.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Have contacted WOT, based on my 2012 model, was to refer to parts under Bonneville T100 EFI. Chose some parts which comes to GBP31 and shipping cost GBP41 !!!! Guess, will build up my basket for more parts before ordering.

I realized even in Amazon, shipping cost from UK is more expensive than in US, logistically does not make sense.
If there are reliable online parts site i can get from US, please share. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,046 Posts
Reactions: wke002
1 - 19 of 19 Posts