Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am trying to get an American vehicle on the road here in New Zealand and our transport authority is having trouble with the VIN number of my Bonneville.

VIN: SCGB75506CM033XXX
Frame: T140ES DEA 33XXX

Its the 3rd, 4th & 5th digits of the 17 digit VIN that our system is not recognizing, can anyone provide me information on what they might mean? I need to provide evidence if possible so let me know your sources.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update: they have found a way around the problem by going off the frame number instead of the VIN number.
If anyone can make sense of that VIN WMI I posted I'd love to know what you find anyway.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
This was one of the 'CMO' bikes built to fool the US customs into lower import duty. It's an April 1982 T140 Electric start Bonneville, 750cc.
Roy.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Morning Guys, think I have posted something about this previously? Then again might have only thought to??? When I get some time, go to go to work now, I will explain in more detail.
Roy.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Triumph had a system of numbering which included month and year letters from 1969. During the late70's and early 80's, Harley sales in America were slowing due to overseas manufacturers importing their products. Harley succesfully lobbied the US government to raise import duty on all machines over 750cc.

Obviously, Triumph fell foul of this new legislation which was manufacture age related. What this meant was any 750 bike built after 1980 (?) and imported into America was liable to this tax and consequently the selling price was higher. This suited Harley being a 'home' manufacturer and their product was far cheaper.

Triumph got around this by using a previously non existing code for engine and frame numbers, to fool the US customs......... I think it worked?

This started in 1981. January for Home and general export started with 'ADA' prefix, followed by BDA, CDA, EDA....... However for USA and Canada ONLY, between ADA & CDA there was a new system. Starting in February 1981 with 'BMO' then 'CMO' on the FRAME and the engines with 'BO******' and CO******.

I don't know what the highest CMO number is, one day I will check it out? But I guess your bike is getting towards the last? I can tell you the very last entry in the build books is CEA35601 28th April 1983.
Roy.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I'm only kinda following this. I guess that we do know that the bike in question is a 'bitsa' as the frame and engine don't match. We know that the engine is from the US probably sent over in some secret container labeled 'Colombian Coffee' to fool the US customs agents into not charging the 'Harley doesn't like it' tax. (kinda sounds like NASCAR, always changing the rules so Chevrolet can keep up) And most importantly, we know that the last Triumph on the books was built on my 12th birthday.

If I've missed any details, please leave me in my ignorant, albeit blissful state. I have one of those brains that remembers useless facts and numbers. This data would certainly purge some other data which, frankly, is probably more important to my survival.

·
Registered
625 Posts
"...NASCAR...always changine the rules so Chevy can keep up..."

Obviously a non-Chevy person who is jealous that Chevy has dominated NASCAR in every rules scenario for so long it seems the inverse is true, yet still doesn't work.

That's just plain silly.
no ... I've disliked NASCAR for a long time. The primary reason currently is that it's Stock Car racing yet I cannot go to the Ford dealer and buy a 2 door, V8, rear wheel drive Taurus ....

Anyway... Let's talk about when Ford designed a new engine in the late 80s that conformed to all the rules. No one could keep up and they were winning everything. NASCAR steps in and makes them add a restrictor plate to 'level the playing field'. Fine. Ford redesigns the Thunderbird (the race bodies still looked kinda like the actual cars) and once again, no one can keep up ... until NASCAR forces them to add a huge air dam (akin to a snow plow) to the car ... to level the playing field. I don't even want to talk about the events leading to Chrysler leaving NASCAR in the '70s.

The fact is that auto racing isn't about a level playing field. One team's innovations should raise the bar and cause everyone else to create newer and better machines.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm only kinda following this. I guess that we do know that the bike in question is a 'bitsa' as the frame and engine don't match.
Not true! the frame number and engine number are identical and authentic. Its just the WMI portion of the VIN that is "interesting"
As an aside, I am now registered and licensed and riding on the road!
YES!
:)

·
Registered
116 Posts
no ... I've disliked NASCAR for a long time. The primary reason currently is that it's Stock Car racing yet I cannot go to the Ford dealer and buy a 2 door, V8, rear wheel drive Taurus ....

Anyway... Let's talk about when Ford designed a new engine in the late 80s that conformed to all the rules. No one could keep up and they were winning everything. NASCAR steps in and makes them add a restrictor plate to 'level the playing field'. Fine. Ford redesigns the Thunderbird (the race bodies still looked kinda like the actual cars) and once again, no one can keep up ... until NASCAR forces them to add a huge air dam (akin to a snow plow) to the car ... to level the playing field. I don't even want to talk about the events leading to Chrysler leaving NASCAR in the '70s.

The fact is that auto racing isn't about a level playing field. One team's innovations should raise the bar and cause everyone else to create newer and better machines.
And that is when Formula 1 comes in as the winner. F1 is a race of technology and they can also turn right sometimes. :D

·
Registered
25 Posts
lol on a bike forum talking about car racing......can anyone else see this as funny? But ha look my 2 cents.

I love speed I am a speed freak and all who own bikes love it to, OK well 98% but I also like SKILL. RALLY RACING. Look at rally America Group 2, Production, and Production GT all real stock cars. You can buy off a craigslist add. If all people took a rally driving class I feel they would learn a lot more about being a "Good" driver then a stock car (NASCAR) class and it is way mor fun!!!!!. For the record F1 is almost as hard as rally driving. But nascar....no. Rally is all about learning to CONTROLL your vehicle lol not drafting on the hwy @ 75 to save gas.

I do agree the car of tomorrow is a joke.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts