Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Having read the many reviews, I am likewise stunned by the Thruxton. It takes me back to my 78 Ducati in MHR colors and dreams of Hailwood. However, I noticed that amongst the glowing reports are observations about vibrations and front end wobbles. Vibrations are certainly subjective and can be accounted for. However, wobbles hint of front end, suspension or design flaws. Yet, others note the crisp handling in the twisties. Can someone reconcile these two divergent views? I ride a TBS and it, like the 78 Ducati, is planted. There are no wobbles, hints of tankslappers, etc. I am interested in the Thrux. I have no interest in encountering front end issues. I appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

·
Registered
260 Posts
the only time i've wobbled is when the tread to tire line on the side of the stock metzlers runs along the ground,steep turning i guess,,well i think thats what is doing it,,,i hit the ton everytime i ride out from my house usually for a couple minutes,and feel pretty good about it,,long as a critter dont run out and give my front end a wobble

·
Registered
17 Posts
things i,ve done to elminate wobble,hyperpro fork spring with forks
ten mm above clamp. fork brace and steering damper.
tires must be in great shape as well. all of these changes have made the bike feel really solid

·
Registered
709 Posts
I've been to 125 a couple of times, and touch the Ton every few rides, just to keep my metabolism working. Bone stock suspension. Front is dropped about 20mm. Secondary NJ roads, (and there's nothing quite as "secondary.") Never the slightest wobble. It's rock solid, so it ain't the design or geometry.
If it appears, I would check steering stem tension/bearings, tire balance, and wheel true/ bearings.
Redhawk

·
Registered
404 Posts
Totally agree with Redhawk - never experienced any kind of wobble at all at any speed and I've taken it up to 110+ quite often and have to hit the ton at least once on the way home - I hear you get expelled from "the Club" if you don't!:D And I have a stock suspension setup right now too (soon to change though, but that's another thread).
I have read many posts on here where riders have complained of a twitch in the front end but who knows what their set-up is? Could be down to tires, front fork setup, rider weight, road conditions, etc but I've never experienced it and hope I never do! Go on, buy one!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help. It does seem a somewhat random event. I agree it must be due to setup and other variables, not design flaw.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
My guess is that - if you find that you have this problem - it can easily be remedied with a $250 steering damper (and they look very cool to boot!).

·
Registered
921 Posts
i rarely get a wobble save one situation. . . long, sweeping curves at speed (i.e. 60-70mph+) when i'm about half-way leaned and my right hand is cranked down. i used to get a wobbly rear end in those situations, too, but that was remedied with new rear shocks.

keep in mind two things. . .

1) my '05 bonnie (clubman bars incl.) is the only bike i've ever have a significant amount of time on and

2) i'm still running stock front shocks with no dampener or fork brace

edit: if there's a way to set the bike up to relieve this i'm all ears!

·
Registered
521 Posts
The whole wobble thing is an urban legend. Thrux's don't have enough power to 'wobble' from applying too much power and combine that with the conservative steering geometry long wheelbase and having an 18" front wheel and it just isn't a real issue when either cornering or riding in a straight line. If you are coming from a Harley you might think it's a little twitchy but if you are coming from a sportbike you will just think you are riding a more relaxed machine.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I sometimes get an awkward slow oscillation when traveling over hills while in a turn. I contribute it to the reduction in traction since the wheels are wanting to leave the ground.

Has anyone ever left the ground going too fast over a hill? I'd imagine doing it in a turn could result in a high side.

·
Registered
521 Posts
If you feel like the bike wallows a little when you push it hard into a turn, this could be from worn out or too soft rear shocks. Unless you are cornering at very high speeds, this isn't dangerous. If the front end somehow leaves the ground while cornering, you can still steer the bike with the rear. This is very common if you race or ride a powerful bike which will lift the front under power when exiting a corner.

I sometimes get an awkward slow oscillation when traveling over hills while in a turn. I contribute it to the reduction in traction since the wheels are wanting to leave the ground.

Has anyone ever left the ground going too fast over a hill? I'd imagine doing it in a turn could result in a high side.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I agree with you that the bike is a little loose compared to real sportbikes. It doesn't have real frame or sturdy forks. I just think that a lot of the posts here about 'loose', 'oscillations' and 'wobbles' are the result of expecting to be on a state of the art sportbike and actually being on a 'normal' motorcycle.

i think everyone is operating from their own definition of "wobble". i get nothing in a straight line but the front end definitely gets a "loose" oscillatiing feeling when i take a long sweeping curve at speed.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I agree with you that the bike is a little loose compared to real sportbikes. It doesn't have real frame or sturdy forks. I just think that a lot of the posts here about 'loose', 'oscillations' and 'wobbles' are the result of expecting to be on a state of the art sportbike and actually being on a 'normal' motorcycle.
heh. yeah. state of the art it ain't.

·
Registered
141 Posts
The only time I've felt any wobbles is on the 405 freeway where they have the rain grooves. It doesn't have anything to do with the bike per se - the wheels just follow the grooves. You get used to it after a while. I don't even notice it really anymore :D

·
Registered
64 Posts
i get nothing in a straight line but the front end definitely gets a "loose" oscillatiing feeling when i take a long sweeping curve at speed.
That's exactly what I get too. I have Hagon shocks and the rest of the suspension & tyres are stock. Bike has only 5000 km, so bearings aren't worn or anything. I think a steering dampner mite help.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Theblackhand's theory is the same as mine. Many have picked up the Thruxton after riding cruisers and therefore as less used to the more direct feel of clips-ons. For those that come from hard core sports bike, the Thrux will feel more vague at the front end. I have ridden the Thrux on lots of surfaces and the only front end wobble I have noted is when riding on rain grooves and as someone else stated, its not really a problem with the bike. The Thruxton does what its designed to do very well. No front end nerviousness that I can detect...

·
Registered
9 Posts
If it's worth anything, Im currently breaking in a brand new '09 Thruxton EFI (only 500 miles so far). I noticed a slight vertical vibration around the 45-55 mph range. First thing I thought was that the front wheel is out of balance. So in it went for it's initial service and let them know.

They conquered about the unusual vibration and spun the wheel on a balancer. They couldn't quite "zero" it out because, believe it or not, the stock front tire is "mis-molded." As in the rim spins straight & true but the tire itself wobbles. After dismounting and mounting they concluded the tire is defective.

Of course Triumph said that because they don't make the tire they will not honor the warranty (which is not cool) so they directed me to Metzeler (stock tire manufacturer). They have yet to get back to me with an answer. So that's where I stand with the new bike, heh.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts