Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I'm new here so bear with me, and I'm also soon to be a new owner of a 1996 Trophy 900 (my first Triumph).
The bike seems in good condition for the miles (55k) and rides real nice. I rode my brother in law's R1200RT an hour to test ride the Trophy, and although maybe not the fairest comparison (due to miles and age) I was pretty impressed and am quite excited about bringing her home.
On the test ride I noticed a bit of a vibration between 2500 and 3000 regardless of the gear. Anyone have any ideas ? Is this typical ? Any other advice for a newby ?

·
Registered
348 Posts
My 2001 900 growls at me @ 3k to about 3.5k. From the posts I've read here it seems they all do it.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
That's just some of that great triple character. I've noticed it on every carbureted 900cc Triple I've ridden, be it Thunderbird, Legend, Trophy, or Tiger. All about the same spot in the rev band (3000rpm+/-), and all smoothed out once you've passed the point.

YMMV, but enjoy it! It's normal.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Taller windscreen ?

Well, I brought her home yesterday and put over 100 miles on already. Ran like a clock. By the time I got it home didn't even notice the "growl".

Missing a cylinder? You had me thinking there for a minute!:)

Anyway love the bike, it's really quick but I must have gotten spoiled by the windscreen on the bimmer 'cause I really felt a bit wind beaten by the time I got home. My kids think I've gone soft. My dad suggested I slow down. Me? I'm not sure but if there is a taller windscreen available, I'd consider it. Any advise out there?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've read that taller screens don't actually help - but perhaps the other members can post actual experiences?

·
Registered
84 Posts
screens

I get more wind noise when I ride my Trophy compared to my Speedtriple, I have a clearview screen, I've heard that using a "sport" screen you have less turbulence. I do like the screen when the bugs are out in force.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Windscreen

I've been reading some threads on here that speak pretty highly of the Clearview, so I visited their site. The screen looks alot like what my b/i/l has on his RT. I'll have to talk to him, maybe he had that added aftermarket. Anyway, it's tempting but a bit pricey right now.

Thanks for the input !

·
Registered
83 Posts
The growl you feel seems to be the norm. Mine does it between 2500-3000 rpm. Try and keep it above 3000 rpm and it will be fine. Below that try not to let the engine labour too much. If it does it at those revs just back the throttle off a little and try again

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
900 Growl

Thanks Shepp and everyone else. I've been doing just that, keeping the rpms up and I'm barely aware of it anymore. Being new to the bike, I just didn't know what to expect. Thanks again for the advise and for such a warm welcome to your forum !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts