Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm very interested in Pirelli tires for my Speedmaster.
I'm not totally pleased with the stock Metzler 880's....although they are OK, but just OK. I don't like the front much, not as sticky as I would like and hates tar snakes, but then most tires don't like tar snakes but some are better than others.

I realize tire grip and mileage is a compromise situation, although tire manufacturers do make dual compound tires these days.

I am specifically interested in the Pirelli MT 66 Route and the Pirelli Night Dragon.
QUESTION:
I would like to know what type of mileage people have gotten out of these tires on their Speedmaster or America and if they are generally pleased with the grip. I don't ride in the rain, but crap happens sometimes unexpectedly.

I am also aware that everyone has their own special tire brand and model. Some people have had bad experiences with a particular tire and will never buy that brand again, etc.

To keep things fairly short and simple, I would prefer to not debate the Pirelli brand and I know there are other good brands. I will be open to other brand suggestions, but I would greatly appreciate hearing from Pirelli owners as well regarding my specific Pirelli question.

Thanks, David

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've got Night Dragons on my 13 Speedmaster. Replaced stock tyres because they were hopeless in the wet. Great grip on the dry and have performed well in the few times I got caught out in the rain. I would recommend them. I'd also have a look at Avons. They seem to get good reviews.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks CrazyTrain, appreciate it.
I would prefer to not get Avon's, besides even more pricey I believe.

Do you have any idea so far about wear and mileage on your Night Dragons?

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've only put on about 2000 miles since I changed the tyres so I can't be sure, but the wear has been minimal. I've got a friend who has them fitted on his HD and he swears by them. He gets great milage from them. I'm sure you'll be pleased with both the grip and mileage.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
I put Night Dragons on my 2011 Speedy combined with new springs and I can not praise them highly enough. Compared to the 880s they stick like snot to a blanket wet or dry. As far as milage I don't care, I like to outlive my tires lol

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thanks CrazyTrain, appreciate it.
I would prefer to not get Avon's, besides even more pricey I believe.

Do you have any idea so far about wear and mileage on your Night Dragons?
What do you have against Avons? And if it's price only, if there's one spot to spend money on a bike, it's the part that touches the road.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts