Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not even really sure you can call it storage, but I will be gone for about 4 weeks over the holidays, and I'm curious if anything needs to be done to my bike for such a short amount of time. If I ride it for a while and fill the gas tank a day or so before I leave, will it be ok without any other preparations?

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
will it be ok without any other preparations?
Assuming its not outside in the open,

Park it up.
Cover it if you have a cover,
Secure it if you fear it being stolen,
Plug in an battery conditioner if you have an alarm (if not, dont bother)
And close the door.....

It will be fine when you get back.

My bikes regularly stand for over a month without use with no problem.
I dont even turn off the petrol tap!!

V.

·
Registered
745 Posts
pros and cons of storage procedures

leave a full tank
the deal here is if the volume is taken up it won't allow air and the humidity condensing on the inside of the tank to rust the bottom of the tank
the downside is you have a full tank of old gas.

folks will say add a fuel stabilizer
the deal here is gas evaporates and thickens to a sludge/varnish gloop that clogs jet orifices.
I assume the stabilizer either turns the evaporating solvent into something that won"t evaporate...or it adds a killer solvent to combat the sludge...I don't like additives.

I think the best prevention is keep it in a heated space that isn't subject to humidity and run it every 2 weeks to keep the battery up and all the metal parts oily...flowing gas also flushes the jets out...and ideally, add fresh gas (like a pint) every month so you aren't sitting on 3 month old gas. gasoline is an excellent solvent and will clean orifices out.

also...don't start it if you don't intend to get it up to operating temp...all that does is make condensation and defeat the purpose. getting it up to operating temps evaporates all the water away and ideally, you want all the metal surfaces covered in oil...which is why I never squirt a hose on a machine...only spritz with WD40 and wipe clean...that allows the penetrant to get in all the nooks and crannies with a protective coat rather than water sitting destroying the surfaces.

I cringe when I see chrome polishers happily hosing their stuff to make it pretty to the eyes...all the while the water is doing it's nasty work behind the scenes in the nooks and crannies.

every old machine I've taken apart that had a goodly oil leak retains good metal...and everything that was exposed to water rusts into powder. farmers paint their tractor implements with old crankcase drain and it sits out in the elements for generations...there's a lesson here.

leaving a machine sit is trouble...they're meant to run and they take care of themselves.

so my perspective is:

gas:
running a car (kept outside) all winter thru the condensation cycles gets a full tank...tho a bike sitting in a heated space is better off with a minimal amount of gas in the tank to get old and troublesome...then just add fresh gas and clean out the jets every now and then ...and yes, this may be different than "conventional fuel stabilizer wisdom"...but I'm an old guy who's been licking these things for a long time the stabilizer thing came along later for other people to ease their "I love motorcycle" conscience while they neglect them.

battery and oil:
run the bike every couple of weeks to keep the battery up and keep all the internal bare metal parts coated.

external surfaces:
keep everything oily...let it drip and be ugly... don't allow water do it's universal deed. in the long run you're in a better condition for restoration or resale...you can do the water hose and detailing for hustling a sale, but it's not the way to keep a piece of metal in good shape long term.

to answer your specific 4 weeks away question:
with care before you leave, and care after you return, 4 weeks is not a big deal.
the deal becomes if the gas is September's and the battery has been churning to keep 12v in the cold for the last month and a half already without any charge.

you might run it down the road to coat the oil, then take the battery out with a fresh charge on it and leave it in the heated space sitting on wood for the 4 weeks...in case you meet a new girlfriend who detains you til late February.

as far as gas evaporating/sludging in the orifices...it might be better to run it bone dry rather than let the solvent evaporate and sludge form

the tank should be left full for the condensation cycles if it's going to be a cold environment...empty (silica gel packet dangling?) if it's in a dry heated space so you don't come back to old foul gas that lost it's joi de vie.

·
Registered
10,215 Posts
Good information from the other posters. I do this for winter:

Stabil in the tank, and run it through the fuel system. Fill the tank to the top, for the reasons stated above.

Close the petcock.

Battery on the Battery Tender now and then to keep it charged, or leave it on the Battery Tender, or hook it up when you get back.

Cover the bike with a sheet to keep dust and junk from the garage ceiling off it.

When I start riding it again, I do a couple tanks with fuel system cleaner.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for that info, guys...very helpful!

It's in a garage in San Francisco - not really heated, but the average for December is about 60, and the lows are around 50, so it's not heating up and cooling off too much. I do have some S100 Corrosion Protectant..guess I'll throw a nice coating on anyways and then cover it. The bike is new (June), so the battery should be ok if I don't put it on a tender, right?

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
Could you give me a how to/breakdown of what that entails? :)
First, make sure the petcock is set to "off". There's a little nipple looking thing at the bottom of the float bowls, and on the side of the carb there's a tiny brass allen-head screw. Put a cup, or spray paint cap under the nipple, and loosen the screw with an allen wrench until it starts to drain out.

you can see the screw here (the one on the bottom of the float bowl)

·
Registered
87 Posts
i usually turn the fuel off take the key out and go on my merry way, occasionally i'll put a charger on my bikes. came back from one tour after 6 weeks my 76 honda cb200 started first kick, last time i was out i put the battery back in my 70 t100r, held down the ticklers and then found i was out of gas - doh! started second kick after putting in some go juice.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
4 week storage

Fill it(tank) cover it w/ a dust cover (inside storage)) & if the oil is old-change it before you go. Kiss her goodbye & go! Oh yeah run the carbs dry if you want? I dont think all that important, since I have had my Bonne sit 3 weeks w/o looking @ it. Your choice?

·
Registered
83 Posts
storage in SF

Doc,

Here's a thought - Dubbelju Motorcycle Rentals in SF also provides bike storage with care. Lots of guys give them their bikes in winter. Ask James in the shop how he cares for bikes in SF environment. Not that you would use them for just a month, but they are a great vender and take really good care of equipment. I have rented from them and also shipped my Bonnie to them to hold for me when I spend time in CA.

Just taking an opportunity to plug some good guys. I put them on the same level as Brent at New Bonneville when it comes to service.

BTW, I envy you for living in SF. It's Bike Heaven! I could spend the rest of my days between SF and Oregon and be quite happy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts