Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2004 sprint ST, 2007 Bonneville
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, although the clutch works just fine, the distance need to engage/disengage the clutch is really short, maybe 0.5 to 1 cm on the lever between full engage to full disengage.
On my Sprint ST I'm used to fully pulling the clutch lever for maximum disengage.
Is that something particular to twin cylinder types (are they just using very short clutch springs?) or do more types have this habit?
Just curious.

·
Registered
13 Posts
How much free play do you have at the clutch lever before the cable starts to pull? Don't recall the spec off hand, but if you increase the free play at the lever, the clutch won't disengage as quickly. YMMV.

·
Registered
2004 sprint ST, 2007 Bonneville
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
About 2 cm travel of the lever's tip before I feel the clutch actuate, then, like I said, one more cm to full disengage.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi folks, although the clutch works just fine, the distance need to engage/disengage the clutch is really short, maybe 0.5 to 1 cm on the lever between full engage to full disengage.
On my Sprint ST I'm used to fully pulling the clutch lever for maximum disengage.
Is that something particular to twin cylinder types (are they just using very short clutch springs?) or do more types have this habit?
Just curious.
Def a different throw on mine. My dealer said he made a minor adjustment on my 06 when he rode it years ago cuz he thought it not right. Still is weird, but i only stalled it early on and like y'all learned to deal widdit. Oops.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I bought my first Bonneville T100 a couple of months ago, a 2007. First time I rode it was taking it home. First thing I noticed was the rather narrow engagement angle on the clutch lever. But I didn't stall it and by the time I got home I wasn't noticing it. I guess it's typical.

·
Registered
5,222 Posts
Have you tried changing the lever throw length. On the levers are 4 positions for the cable to be changed, to either accommodate the size of your hand or to take in cable slack.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Have you tried changing the lever throw length. On the levers are 4 positions for the cable to be changed, to either accommodate the size of your hand or to take in cable slack.
The 4 lever positions are only for adjusting for the size of your hand (or desired engagement point), cable slack should be adjusted by the threaded adjusters at the ends of the cable outer sheath (and then span adjusted to preferred position).
In saying that 5-10mm lever travel from disengaged to engaged is a pretty wide sweep if you compare it to a lot of other bikes. My other 2 bikes have more like 2-5mm lever travel through the engagement point. It takes me a couple of minutes to get used to the clutch on the Triumph after riding the other bikes..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts