Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife and i decided to go for a trip Sunday morning, the fuel guage was reading one bar so I stopped to fill up. We had not travelled far around 4Km when i could feel the bike sliding as i went around corners, something didn't feel right, i said to the wife over the intercom i thought i had a flat, so i pulled up to check. The tyre pressure was fine and everything looked okay. So i got back on the bike convinced i was imaging things. I carried on for another couple of KMs and there it was again, i decided to head for home, the next junction was a STOP sign so i pulled up to a halt and waited around 5 seconds before i pulled away. The bike started fish tailing really badly and i have no idea how i managed to hold it up, i pulled over to the side of the road once i had it under control. I looked down to locate the side stand and could see petrol spewing out at some force all over my leg. I told the wife to get off pretty sharply, and put the stand down. When i looked back to the road junction there was a very large pool of petrol on the Road from when i pulled up. The main fuel line connector from the tank had come off completely by the time i pulled over. In what would have been a 10KM trip i lost over half the fuel in the tank. Most of it washing over the back tyre as i was riding along, hence the sliding around the corners, thank god i was not going that fast. I cannot work out why the clip came off, i rode last weekend with no problem, the bike had not been leaking in the garage, and the only thing i did was fill it up. Has anyone else had the same happen and any ideas as to why it would come off.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Early in my ownership of my 05 I took the bike in for some sputtering and they found that the connector under the tank was not fully engaged. They at first tried to make me liable for the hours to reattach it but I protested and they grudgingly agreed to suck it up. Since they reconnected it firmly I've had no problems.

·
Registered
259 Posts
This is a little concerning. I think I'll add a safety strap to the fuel line connector.

I had the tank off for the first time yesterday and was very cautious to check the connection after I'd reconnected the fuel line. But a zip strap never hurts.

·
Registered
8,112 Posts
Lucky lad not to come off or take off for that matter. I can imagine the anguish at watching it go up in flames as you try to throw sand on it !!!

:eek:

:gooff: ">

·
Registered
411 Posts
You displayed considerable skill to stay upright with fuel splashing on the rear tire - especially two-up. Bravo!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Is it possible to verify that the fuel line quick disconnect is secure without unbolting the tank or removing the side fairings? (Don't have access to my bike at the moment to look).

Thanks,
Jack

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
This has happened on more than one occaision that I am aware of. The fuel line is under pressure from the bottom of the tank, as the fuel pump is built into the base of the tank. The self sealing quick connect does have a positive lock on it, you can feel it click into place. Every incident I've read of has been traced to either an alarm fit or recent maint, and the line has just not been put back properly, and not locked, and it blows off. The best way to check it is to unbolt the back of the tank and lift it up a few inches so you can get to/check the fuel connection, but be careful, the fuel pump cable is a little short..

[ This message was edited by: Pcdabbler on 2006-11-21 16:34 ]

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I have just come back from the bike show in Sydney, while there i was talking to a rep on the BMW stand and mentioned that i nearley came off from losing traction on bends, before I had time to tell him the reason he asked me if my fuel line had come off. I was gobsmacked that he knew, he said he had heard it was a common fault, I don't know where he gets his info but he was spot on. I will be checking the connection every time i get on the bike in future.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts