Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bars will move forward and aft quite a bit. Above the black shaft where the two points are bolted in, they're is no longer a washer or rubber bushing... I'm not sure what was supposed to be there, but I assume this is my big problem, or is there a bushing that goes through the entire length of the holes? I know that's confusing, but can someone possibly let me know if there's more to those pieces than just going to get a couple of washers at the hardware store?

As always, thanks the help.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Yes there are rubber bushings which rot, best just to change them, just remember the order they come off and tighten them equally until they slightly rock and are not solid. its just trial and error until they feel comfortable. l like a bit of give as it dampens down any vibes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks- had hoped it was that simple, just couldn't remember what was there to begin with.

I forgot to mention this is a '73 Bonneville. Next question: Does anyone know where I can buy the sidecover Bonneville 750 stickers that are red. My nephew peeled mine off, and I can only find black ones.

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
You need to replace the bushes, they are not very expensive, however the old ones are a pain to remove and the new ones are an interference fit (slightly larger that the holes) I pressed mine in with a hydraulic press with an approx. fit of + 0.003".

Good luck

Webby

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any idea where to get them and what I call them when I say what I need? I used to order parts from the place in Chicago, but apparently they've gone out of business?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Stickers - Transfers

LBA,
I have had some first class help from the guys on this site and by way of acknowleging that if you give me more info I will see if I can source them here in UK and send them to you if that helps.

George F

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, George... That's great of you. When I get home I'll find a photo of the red ones. I've looked everywhere over here. Thanks again, and I'll post the decal shortly.

·
Registered
224 Posts
The red badges are like hens teeth - only fitted (afaik) to '73 bonnies - this is mine :-

HERE is a link to the 'bar mounting kit - unfortunately, this company only do a black/gold side cover badge, not a red/silver one :(

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
Handlebar Bushes

Hi LBA,

The bushes are listed as Metalastic Bushes Part N° H1527 (Pre 71) Part N° after 1971: 97-1527 They are the same part, it is just that Triumph changed their part number system in 70 or 71.
As for where to get them, I use a few places in the UK such as TMS, Norman Hyde or Supreme Motorcycles. However as you're in the US, try Baxter Cycle (I bought my bike from them) or Klemph's British Parts. They are very small so regular mail should be OK and not too expensive.

·
Registered
66 Posts
hi,
you could try...britishspares.com
they are in NZ i buy stuff from them because they are cheaper than a rip-off place here plus you get 10% off by ordering on line plus free deliery. the way my oz dollar is agaist NZ is good your US dollar will be even better

·
Registered
29 Posts
Transfers for side of your machine

LBA,
I have tried to get you some of the stickers from all the local suppliers in my immediate area - no luck. However I have spoken to another supplier some distance away from me who does have what you require (red and silver "Bonneville 750" as per your photo). He said that he will ship them out to you if you get in touch via his website which is http://www.triumphtwinspares.com/ or by EBay
Hope this works for you. If you do have any further problems get back to me and we will solve this one somehow.

George F

PS - He did say that you may have to get your own glue to stick them on as they are 30 year old originals!!

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
On the loose handle bars issue, I was not satisfied with the way mine felt with the new bushes so I made some nylon washers .075" thick out of a piece of nylon (I think it was the carry handle off of a childs toy package). I had a hole punch that was about the same size as the beveled washers. I installed it on the underside of the top yoke (where it fits into a bit of a recess) between the beveled washer and the yoke making sure the nuts would still clear the frame lug so the steering was not restricted. It took nearly all the wobble out of the bars. I feel more connected to the bike now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you...

I've been away for a few days and just looked at all the great advice. Thank you very much. I'll give it all a shot- certainly nice to have such a great resource of info.
Next problem is that I just brought my buddy's brand new Thruxton home for him from the dealership. Now I just need someone to talk me out of wanting fuel injection and electric start. The purist in me says no, but man, immediate throttle response is pretty spectacular.

·
Registered
72 Posts
You need to replace the bushes, they are not very expensive, however the old ones are a pain to remove and the new ones are an interference fit (slightly larger that the holes) I pressed mine in with a hydraulic press with an approx. fit of + 0.003".

Good luck

Webby
How did you remove the existing bushings? did you have to press them out? did you have to remove the top yoke to remove these also?

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
My bike was a box of bits when I bought it. Some idiot had removed the the inner rubber so I was left with just the outer part of the bush.
They were so tight that I VERY CAREFULLY cut though the side (top to bottom) with a hacksaw and then pushed them out with a hydraulic press. Yes, you will need to remove the top yoke to remove the old bushes and also to install the new ones. Also you may need to grind a little off the new ones, mine were a little too large so I took a couple of thou off the sides. Have a look at the attached photos, sorry for the quality, they were taken with my mobile phone.

Good Luck

Webby

·
Registered
72 Posts
Webby,

thanks those pics were fine and you gave me enough info to get this done with minimal aggravation.

Last question for you.. when you sanded a bit off your new ones did you make it to be a slip fit or a press fit to install the new ones.

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
Hi there,

I made the bushes an interference fit (slightly larger than the hole) as you can see in the photos, I could not find any measurements in the book so I went 0.003" larger and then pressed them in. I used an aircraft anti corrosion product to help lubricate and protect against corrosion but I figure a little bit of grease would work just as well.
For removing the old bushes just make sure you have a drift the same diameter as the bushes otherwise you will find them difficult to remove (an old socket would do the job) Depending upon the diameter of the holes in the yoke and the bushes you might get away with using a hammer and drift as stated in the manual (or a vice, a drift and a small tube) but mine were too tight to do that, also I didn't want to make the new bushes a sloppy fit, hence the 3 thou over.

I hope this helps

Webby

1 - 18 of 18 Posts