Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend riding on highways Saturday and Sunday 3 hours each day the XC was very hot to ride. Amibents were 97*. The XC ran fine and the coolant temperature was stable and 2/3 so no issues there.

The engine and of course the cat throws off a lot of heat but also the heat sink into the frame is really bad. The frame and the body plastic just above it at the knee got really hot. To the point that I had minor burns around my knees through my jeans.

Any thoughts on if wrapping the exhaust manifold and pipes (not the cat itself) would help reduce some of the heat thrown off the engine and the heat sinking? For the cat any thoughts on whether additional heat shielding could help?

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Minor burns on your knees? I've not experienced that much heat.
Temps here have been in the three digit range, but yea, there's a lot of heat coming off this motor.
Surprised that when I removed my key from the ignition that it felt hot enough to melt the plastic key fob.
Think it depends on several conditions if all present it can be quite uncomfortable.
The temperature where your riding, wind and direction and the speed at which you are traveling.
Generally the bike doesn't seem to be any hotter than any other bike I have owned but given the right conditions the heat off the motor can be brutal.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MB - I don't disagree and as soon as I can find someplace that carries a style I like in a size that fits me so I can try them on I will do just that. I have found identifying riding gear difficult when nothing is available at physical store locations. I was the only person that day I even saw wearing a riding jacket or pants of any kind.

And the pants would only have prevented the minor burns not the brutal amounts of heat.

I just returned to riding this year and don't ever recall being on a bike this hot in the past but at the same time they were all smaller bikes than this one. And I was younger and tougher.

I do believe the cat contributes a lot to the amount of heat.

To me it seems like if the coolant temperature is within normal operating range the engine itself shouldn't be hot enough to cause the effect I experienced. I have to think if the exhaust manifold were wrapped it would help, except that the hottest part of the exhaust would still be an issue and hotter still after wrapping the manifold.

Is the cat a US requirement on the bike or is it there for a European standard?

·
Premium Member
8,400 Posts
I wear some of those Hood Jeans with the knitted kevlar lining and knee pads. When just wearing them around they can feel a little warm from the insulating properties of the lining, but the flip side is true when the bike heats up. They kind of act a bit like an oven mitt, blocking much of the heat. Still, I don't find the Tiger 800 to run any hotter than my Sprint 1050 did. The heat is a little higher and doesn't cook my calf and ankle like the Sprint used to do.

·
Premium Member
3,018 Posts
I wear just regular jeans when I ride and I don't seem to have the issue you guys are having. It was an all time record high here last week at 103* and I still didn't have heat that I thought was going to burn me. It was in the low 90's here today and I rode my T595 Daytona to work and I actually think that throws more heat than the Tiger.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Now that I'm thinking about this I don't think the cat is contributing much to the heat your feeling IMO
Don't think this bike is any hotter than my past Sprint or Speed Triple.

·
Premium Member
8,400 Posts
I wear just regular jeans when I ride and I don't seem to have the issue you guys are having....
Oh don't get me wrong. I am having no issue with it at all really. Does it kick out a little heat? Sure it does, don't all water cooled bikes? It definitely kicks out less heat than my Sprint did, and honestly I think less than my wifes F650GS. I got stuck for an hour today in 0-7 mph construction traffic, and I still never found it to be a problem. More heat comming off the vehicles surrounding me I think.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There was a couple posts over in the T800 thread on advrider about the heat as well. At least one other person there also found the frame and bodywork at the knees hot enough to burn.

I and they both understand that riding in many parts of the country in July and August are just going to be hot experiences. I think the amount of heat being generated and sunk into the frame has surprised a few owners though. I will grab my pyrometer after my next hot day ride.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
The XC is the first liquid cooled bike I have owned. I know that it is not running inordinately hot. It does get really warm in traffic when the temps are in the mid 90's F/35 C and higher, but not to the point of burning me. It is 101F/38C here today with a heat index of 112F/44C. I just don't ride in these temps. If I have to go somewhere, I'll ride the Bonnie.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Wonder if the steel frame has a tendency to transmits more heat than the aluminum frames of the 1050 Tiger, Sprint, or Speed Triple?

·
Premium Member
8,400 Posts
Wonder if the steel frame has a tendency to transmits more heat than the aluminum frames of the 1050 Tiger, Sprint, or Speed Triple?
Aluminum will conduct heat far better than steel does. Which is why it is commonly used in cookware, but it also heats more evenly. Maybe it will dissipate heat better? I am not sure how much of difference frame material makes in this case. <shrug>

·
Registered
187 Posts
The XC is the first liquid cooled bike I have owned. I know that it is not running inordinately hot. It does get really warm in traffic when the temps are in the mid 90's F/35 C and higher, but not to the point of burning me. It is 101F/38C here today with a heat index of 112F/44C. I just don't ride in these temps. If I have to go somewhere, I'll ride the Bonnie.
Carl hit it right on the head. What I love most about my Scrambler is that it's a great hot weather bike. Nothing blocks air flow to the body and head so my mesh gear actually flows air and my helmet vents perform as designed. I was hoping for a similar experience with the XC, but forgot all about the liquid cooling thing. This bike dumps hot air from the radiator right onto my legs. No way you can be cool on a high 90's day with that going on.

It's so dramatic a difference that I now view the XC as a great winter bike:(

·
Premium Member
4,032 Posts
I haven't ridden a T800 except in pretty cool conditions, but on my Sprint I find that with perf leather pants and vented Boots I'm cooler(less hot) than with just jeans and sneaks. At least your engine is more open, so the fan blast has more of an outlet.

Sent from my iPhone;)

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Carl hit it right on the head. What I love most about my Scrambler is that it's a great hot weather bike. Nothing blocks air flow to the body and head so my mesh gear actually flows air and my helmet vents perform as designed. I was hoping for a similar experience with the XC, but forgot all about the liquid cooling thing. This bike dumps hot air from the radiator right onto my legs. No way you can be cool on a high 90's day with that going on.

It's so dramatic a difference that I now view the XC as a great winter bike:(
It sure makes you appreciate air cooled engines! At highway speeds, the XC's heat is not bad even on the hot days. But when you slow down to less than 50 mph, it does get a tad warm on the legs.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Even air cooled the bonnie would be a heck of a lot hotter if it was kicking out 100hp.
Not to nit-pik, but at cruising speed, both are probably producing less than 10 hp to keep you moving along. It's the function of the air through the radiator that then distributes the removed heat right to your legs. Can't feel the engine heat at all on the Scrammy, even with the high pipes...

The other dynamic I didn't make clear in my original post is that because of the radiator, the bike is designed in a way to capture a significant portion of the passing air to funnel it through the radiator. This dramatically reduces the wind/air available to cool you. Jumping off the XC and on to my Scrambler feels equal to a "real feel" difference of about 15 degrees in temperature.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts