Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just took the rear wheel out of my 80 / 81 lekky start and the Veglia drive came off in two pieces !
it re-assembled easily ,but surely it should stay together as one assembly
not had a vast experience of these "delicate" drives but they always appeared to be in one piece on previous bikes
cant see any way they could be held together unless there is something missing
it appears to be "as new" althoght the PO must have been hamfisted and overtightenend the cable as the threaded brass connection turned in the body when i tried to disconnect the drive cable -- so maybe his butchery caused the "two part"problem

·
Super Moderator
10,353 Posts
Hi Wol,

The brand-new ones I bought in the 1980's were notionally in a single piece when handed to me, I thought it was best for them that their various bits were squeezed together between the swinging arm and the wheel ... Not Vague Liar's finest engineering ... :sneaky:

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just gave the assy a good looking at --- the inner part of the drive that rotates with the wheel sits abutting the inner face of the wheel spacer - the outer part of the drive clamps tight to outer face of the same wheel spacer - loosly offered into postion it apperars the the inner part is able to "float" by about may be 20 thou -- i then found a spacer washer that had been stuck with grease to the inner face of the wheel spacer -- looks like a PO was trying to limit the amount of "float" with this washer ! -- witness marks suggest its a little too thick - a little fettling is in order to get a better fit and so hold the assy in the "closed" postion -- there is nothing to hold grease in or stop dirt getting in - maybe there should be seal of some kind that normally holds the assy together ?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Dodgy piece of moped engineering. Mine was hanging in festoons and I nursed it for ages. Eventually I replaced it with a new one, which I guess I should have done in the first place. Monty could sort you out:

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
nasty nasty nasty litle things. Very fragile. I have found it helps to oil the speedo cable rather than grease it, so it has as little 'drag' on the drive as possible. And to be very careful with cable routing, especially where the cable exits the drive.

I have a large collection of broken ones, and make a point of having a new spare in my toolbox.

it is also worth remembering that 3000rpm in 3rd is ~30mph, 3000rpm in 4th is ~40mph and 3000rpm in 5th is ~50mph. Overall gearing in 5th is 627rpm per 10mph. I must have ridden 1000s of miles with no speedo, one time it broke on the early days of a two week European tour. Got by without a speedo OK.

·
Registered
5,909 Posts
For what its worth if you have an earlier rear disc wheel assembly with a Smiths drive you can use that. The drive Ratio on Smiths and Veglia gauges are the same.

K 😷

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks Jim - good to get confirmation that a "two part" drive should work
And thanks - K -- i thought the speedo drives were interchangeable ( makes sense ; but this is Meriden we are talking about)
--got a pile of bits of another T140 to be collected for a future project - not sure what the rear wheel is - hope it a smiths drive type as i have a new drive
This build will have to stay with the veglia ( or vague liar as Stuart calls it ) - as its a stock T140ES build

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
i thought the speedo drives were interchangeable
the ratios might be the same, but the way they are driven differs, the Veglia is driven by a single tang. The smiths by a double lobes in a drive ring with two notches.
I think you would have to change the wheel hub as well as the speedo.

·
Super Moderator
10,353 Posts
Hi,
thought the speedo drives were interchangeable ( makes sense ; but this is Meriden we are talking about)
think you would have to change the wheel hub as well as the speedo.
Not all Meriden's fault.

Drum rear brake, the speedo. drive was on the opposite side to the brake, so on the timing side. But Smiths was supplying at least two gearboxes (650/750 and 500/350) with different output ratios.

When Meriden went to disc rear brake, the T160 had been around for at least a year, with speedo. drive on drive side. However, Meriden decided to make a different rear hub based on front hub castings and keep the timing-side speedo. drive ...

When Smiths pulled out of supplying motorcycle parts, the Co-op required too-few components not to accept whatever was 'on the shelf' already - whatever Veglia made, which happened to need to go on the drive-side.

Nothing is interchangeable between Smiths and Veglia speedos. drives except the 650/750 output ratio - Veglia gearbox can drive a Smiths 650/750 speedo. accurately and vice versa.

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
when i said the drives were interchangeable all i really meant was either type of speedo (veglia/smiths) could be driven by either type of gearbox - and i realise they are "wheel hub specific"
thanks for clarifiying that Stuart - my post could have confused or missinformed

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
For what its worth if you have an earlier rear disc wheel assembly with a Smiths drive you can use that. The drive Ratio on Smiths and Veglia gauges are the same.

K 😷
Accidentally, I ordered a Smiths drive one time. It won't work on his bike.
just took the rear wheel out of my 80 / 81 lekky start and the Veglia drive came off in two pieces !
it re-assembled easily ,but surely it should stay together as one assembly
not had a vast experience of these "delicate" drives but they always appeared to be in one piece on previous bikes
cant see any way they could be held together unless there is something missing
it appears to be "as new" althoght the PO must have been hamfisted and overtightenend the cable as the threaded brass connection turned in the body when i tried to disconnect the drive cable -- so maybe his butchery caused the "two part"problem
I'm pretty sure that these were made to a price point. I'm changing my rear tire and the same thing happened as usual. When you put it back on, make sure that the little flange on the Veglia is correctly engaged with the wheel hub when putting things back together.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Hi
I think if they had just added a second tang to the drive and a second slot in the hub, the side loading from the one sided push would be removed and the Veglia drive would last many times longer.
Maybe it wouldn’t.
I have my long commute starting again soon (180 miles a day) perhaps an experiment might be in order.
regards
Peg.

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
Hi
I think if they had just added a second tang to the drive and a second slot in the hub, the side loading from the one sided push would be removed and the Veglia drive would last many times longer.
Maybe it wouldn’t.
I have my long commute starting again soon (180 miles a day) perhaps an experiment might be in order.
regards
Peg.
Wow, 180 mile commute! Where do you go? France?

·
Premium Member
202 Posts
when i said the drives were interchangeable all i really meant was either type of speedo (veglia/smiths) could be driven by either type of gearbox - and i realise they are "wheel hub specific"
thanks for clarifiying that Stuart - my post could have confused or missinformed
Actually, The Smith's looks and is much sturdier than the Veglia. I wish that they were interchangeable!

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Wow, 180 mile commute! Where do you go? France?
London to Swindon—Swindon to London.
I did 2 years of it before, nice in summer sunshine 😊👍🏻then there’s the rest of the time🙁👎
I’m thinking of buying a house there to avoid the travel.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Wow, your Triumph must be in great shape to do that commute everyday.
hi Cactuswren,
My 900 8Valve took the brunt of it last time, this time I am thinking of spreading the riding across more bikes.
It’s not bad on the engine as it is always running hot, so does not wear much, but chains/tyres/oil changes, etc are a pain - It’s like working as a dispatch rider - ride all week, maintenance all weekend.

regards
Peg.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts