Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
torquenm...I'm possibly the "Calibration" individual that badrufus is referring to.
Honestly, I calibrate hundreds of torque wrenches every year and badrufus' advise concerning Craftsman is sound (just don't get the digitorque version). Torque wrenches in general are accurate to +4% and -6% of reading (it doesn't matter what brand). I've recently checked some Harbor Freight products that cost under $20 and they were right on also. If I'm not mistaking, Craftsman torque wrenches are made by the same company that does Matco's.

Shorty

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Bob...believe it or not, that is almost exactly how the Torque wrench calibrator is calibrated. There's a couple of things that come into play like Local Gravity, but that's really irrelevant for our purposes as "wrenchers" because the Calibrator tolerances are much tighter than the torque wrench tolerance.
Usually on Torque wrenches there's a groove or marking on the handle which is the "effective length" mark. Hang the weights at that point and be sure to tighten the vice real good so that the wrench won't fall out when you add the weights. If you don't have a groove or mark, hang the weights in the middle of the grip.
Badrufus...I don't know about how the Harbor freight wrenches will maintain their calibration over time 'cause I've only checked about half a dozen for a couple of guys at work here (all of them checked good, even though the quality was not on par to the Craftsman). It's a good idea to get any torque wrench checked every once in a while. We are required to check ours every (4) months only because they are used all the time 24/7 putting aircraft engines together. Going rate here in Texas at most calibration labs is about $25 to $35 if you don't require data.

Shorty

A quick PS. Always return your adjustable torque wrench to its lowest setting when your done and before storing it. Not doing so will cause more errors in accuracy than the occasional drop from your work bench :-D

[ This message was edited by: Shorty on 2006-11-15 06:28 ]

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.