Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody tried V&H pipes for the bird and what do you think? I started Emailing them 3 years ago about what a great bike the P-16 is and how it needed aftermarket support. I traded my Storm since then but still think it's 1 of the best looking cruisers on the road.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Whoa, those V&H Commander / LT pipes are nice. Would love to hear them. Hopefully this means they'll produce exhaust options for the Storm, but it doesn't seem likely.

I'd replace my BC Predators with V&H to get more rumble, for sure.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am thinking of doing this modification/upgrade on my 2014 commander? Any done this? Thoughts on sound/performance? Ease of installation?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Wow!! Would those V&H Commander pipes fit the 1600?

·
Registered
133 Posts
the factory told me that they would not fit my 2010 LT 1600. I bet they would with the right cat by pass pipe.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Yeah the 'factory" has been wrong on more that one occasion. Best thing to do is go to a dealer and measure up the Commander vs Standard bird. You might have to make a bracket but I'll bet you could make the fit

·
Registered
339 Posts
From what I have heard the Commander and LT models have wider header pipes due to the cats now being placed inside the pipes unlike the 1600 and Storm models with the big cat sitting in the middle thats why the pipes do not work.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
The 19" Emgo turnouts I picked up for her America came with (2) reducers to allow for (3) different size header pipes. The bird needed to be adapted for their use, vs the America being direct slip-on.

Always a way to make it work when you're motivated. Just gotta decide if you want it bad enough.

·
Registered
2014 Triumph Thunderbird LT 1700, 2019 Triumph Scrambler 900
42 Posts
About three months ago I ordered a set of V&H pipes for my 2014 Thunderbird LT. I just received them a few days ago. I have not yet had time to install them, but I can tell you that they look absolutely great. Very well made with outstanding looking chrome and no defects at all. Hopefully they will sound as good as they look. I will update as soon as I have time to put them on.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My son put the Vance & Hines pipes on his 2014 Commander this summer and they sound AWESOME!!! They are perfect in my mind, not unobtrusively loud, a nice DEEP rumble, and they look amazing! I can't wait to put them on my '15 T-Bird LT.
He did have an issue fitting the right side muffler on it thought as it would not slide on far enough to line up with the bracket. After a couple return trips to where he bought them the mechanic told him the only way it would fit was to cut about 1/2" off the header pipe, which he ended up doing. The strange thing is that the left muffler went right on without any alterations???
I was told that Vance & Hines stopped selling them until (I am assuming) they get this issue fixed.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
About three months ago I ordered a set of V&H pipes for my 2014 Thunderbird LT. I just received them a few days ago. I have not yet had time to install them, but I can tell you that they look absolutely great. Very well made with outstanding looking chrome and no defects at all. Hopefully they will sound as good as they look. I will update as soon as I have time to put them on.
You will love them! Where did you order them from if I may ask. I want to get a set for my '15 T-Bird LT.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just installed my V&H pipes today (received them last week). As I said in my first post about this, I ordered them about three months ago, but they were well worth the wait. I ordered them from J&P Cycles ($611.99 w/free shipping and no sales tax to my state). I had no difficulty at all in the installation of this exhaust system. If there was a problem with the right pipe not fitting properly, this has apparently been corrected.

The sound is amazing. Very deep rumble like Eastman said and louder than factory stock pipes but not painfully loud. I'd say they got the sound just right. The chrome finish and overall construction is flawless. They seem to weigh about one pound heavier per side than the factory pipes. I did try to weigh them but my bathroom scale was uncooperative. Seems it will only tell me that I need to loose weight, and refuses to weigh motorcycle exhaust pipes.

I tried to get some sound level decibel readings on the factory pipes and the new V&H pipes. I used a "Bosch Tools" app on my smart phone so this is not exactly scientific, but at least I can give you some rough numbers for what they are worth (not much). I make no claim that these are actually accurate sound level readings, it is just intended as a baseline for comparison. Both the motorcycle and the phone were in exactly the same location during all decibel readings (about 8 feet away to the left side). As it is very much winter where I live, these readings were taken inside my garage with the door closed. I can't take the bike out for a road test until the snow is gone (March or April as we seem to have missed out on the whole global warming thing in the northwest). There was a surprise in the sound level readings:

Ambient sound reading: 35 decibels (nothing running except the refrigerator)

Factory pipes at idle: 73 decibels
Factory pipes at high RPM: 94 decibels

V&H pipes at idle: 80 decibels (significantly louder but a VERY pleasant deep rumble sound)
V&H pipes at high RPM: 92 (two decibels LOWER than factory, but sounded louder to the ear, could not hear internal engine noises)

I also attempted to get readings with no pipes at all, but I could not get the bike to start. I forgot that I put it in "Park" (first gear). I never claimed I was smart... Also, all of the numbers above are approximate as the readings continually fluctuated.

I have no explanation for why I got readings of 2 decibels LOWER for the V&H pipes at high RPM. There is no tachometer on my 2014 Thunderbird LT, so there was a degree of guesswork here, but when I saw the lower number I rev'd up a bit higher than before and 92 was indeed the max reading that I could get. My ears did not agree with the numbers I was seeing. My daughter who was sleeping in the bedroom above my garage also felt that the V&H pipes were louder than the factory pipes when the sound launched her and the dogs out of bed. The V&H pipes do very much sound louder at high RPM than the factory pipes, so like I said, I can't explain the lower decibel reading. Maybe someone with a real decibel meter can try this again.

Regardless of any measurement shown above, the Vance & Hines pipes sound great. I'd buy them again. I also took a clearance measurement from the lowest point at the far rear of the pipe on the left (kickstand) side while in parked position (I needed to know clearance for when I park by backing up to a curb). The approximate lowest point was about 6 7/8 inches with factory pipes and about 6 inches with V&H pipes. I was also a little worried about saddlebag clearance with the new pipes (panniers for my European friends). Although I did not take the time to actually measure this, there seems to be a bit MORE clearance between the saddlebags & the pipes with the V&H so no worries here at all. The overall length of the pipes is about 2 inches shorter than factory (this might be a change as in the first photos I saw of these they looked longer). My nearest Triumph dealer is about 130 miles away, so I will go there in the spring to have the ECU computer programmed for the new exhaust pipes. The cost for this, at least at my dealer, is only $30 so there is no point in attempting to do this at home. In addition, the computer system is reportedly locked on the newer Thunderbirds. Supposedly you can cause serious damage to the newer T-birds by messing with the ECU yourself.

If I can figure out a way to upload a sound file I will do so. I no longer need the factory pipes as the Vance & Hines are exactly what I was looking for. I hope this is of use to those interested in the V&H pipes for the newer Thunderbirds.

PS: I'm starting to recover from the exhaust fumes now, seems rum helps.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Couple of questions Mr kirk, I mean BeamMeup :) Are the baffles removable?
You stated the saddlebags have more clearance with the V & H ..hmmmmm. From all pics I've see the V & H are a larger diameter, your ground clearance confirms this.
Was this an eyeball test ?

Almost forgot, thank you for the very nice follow up. Post a audio clip if you can.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Mike- The pipes are about 7/8 lower to the ground, this may be why there is adequate clearance between the bags and the pipes. There are no baffles to remove. It's unobstructed pipe all the way to the last few inches were there is expanded steel around the inner exhaust pipe wall. The V&H web site indicates that you can buy optional "quiet inserts", but I'm not sure why you would want that.

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When I had my Storm I emailed V&H monthly pleading for pipes with never a peep. The 2 into 1 pro pipes for harley with a K&N filter made measurable gains in HP. I think pipes, filter, and tune should get at least 5% more power.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Zip file of sound sample uploaded. This is a 2014 Triumph Thunderbird LT fitted with the Vance & Hines exhaust system. The motorcycle computer has not yet been reprogrammed, so there is some popping. The recorder was set to it's minimum quality lever in order to meet the file size limitations. Hopefully this will work and possibly be of some use.

Attachments

·
Registered
912 Posts
The V&H pipes do very much sound louder at high RPM than the factory pipes, so like I said, I can't explain the lower decibel reading. Maybe someone with a real decibel meter can try this again.

bass carries further so it might sound louder even though it isn't. Like the party that's in the next block....you can hear the doof doof miles away.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts