Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

This morning, while getting out of my block of units, a van was maing a turn through a ramp leading to public streets and there was a car going the other way, so he stopped. And so did I around 2 meters behind him. Then he switched to reveres and started going back, right into me. He stopped just after my front tyre got under his bumper and was supporting the van on one side.

The front mud guard is gone, there is a crack in cockpit fairing and the underneath of the headlight assembly cracked in two places. But apart from that I cannot see any damage to forks or steering column. I rod it to work after this, and noticed nothing out of the ordinary. No wobbles or shakes or any oil on the forks. Seems like it's only cosmetic damage.

What and How should i be checking to make sure there isn't something more terrible then cracked plastic?

Thanks,
GK

P.S. took 4 people to lift the back of the van off my front tyre. I cannot believe that the tyre stayed on the rim and did not let out any air :D

·
Registered
325 Posts
OUCH!:brick: I assume you got the guys licence/insurance details. Take your bike to your repair man and get him to check it out thoroughly when he quotes the repairs.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OUCH!:brick: I assume you got the guys licence/insurance details. Take your bike to your repair man and get him to check it out thoroughly when he quotes the repairs.
I know the guy:Dang:, was at his wedding as his wife is my gf's friend. So i don't think they will be doing a runner on me. In any case I just claim through my insurance and they will get the money form him on their own. Might jet valve clearance and a few other things done while the bike is in bits at the mechanic. :cool:

Just would like to know if there is something that will show it self while ridding that I can pick up on so that it gets fixed.

Thanks,
GK

·
Registered
142 Posts
Wow that sucks. Hopefully the damage really is minor.

Gotta remember to leave enough space to get out of the way, usually to keep from getting rear ended though rather than backed over. I know I don't leave enough space often enough myself.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Any gross misalignment will manifest itself so that you can not ignore it.

The problem is that there may be minor misalignment/bending of parts that are not readily apparent. Take it to a shop that is experienced and equipped to deal with frame/suspension alignments. Otherwise, you are riding on a bet and a guess.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.