Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While looking at Deluxes last post on the "Right now Im listening to" thread...I was just reminded of a light hearted arguement I have everytime I hang out with one of my wifes friends...

She thinks Van Halen is only worth a sh!t with the Red Rocker up front...I on the other hand stopped listening to them after Diamond Dave left...

To me its rock vs pop...DLR is and will always be the voice of Van Halen...

What says you...David Lee Roth or Sammy Hagar?

·
Administrator
19,460 Posts
Van Halen ended when David Lee Roth left. I never did like Hagar's voice or the poppy sound to the band when Hagar came on. The raunchy, raw music from Van Halen's early years is the best. Women and Children First, Fair Warning, Diver Down... That was heavy!

·
Premium Member
22,706 Posts
Neither.

Also, I feel the rest of the band is just making noise that drowns out Alex van Halen's drums.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Neither.

Also, I feel the rest of the band is just making noise that drowns out Alex van Halen's drums.
Thankfully,....but I'm a Bonham snob :D

As for Roth or Hagar,..for me both singers sang some great VH tunes so I don't have a preference.

But Cherone???,....if that ain't the biggest what the f*ck moment in rock history I don't know what is. Can't even name one song he sang on

·
Premium Member
1,123 Posts
Van Halen, Van Halen II, and 1984 are their real albums.

5150 was teeny-bop pop. OU812 was tired and loud, not good. And For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge was just bad.

Van Hagar never did it for me, Van Halen all the way.

I even have a soft spot for DLR on his own. Skyscraper, DLR+ Steve Vai was a great combo.

But this new reunion I'm not so sure about. And kicking Michael Anthony to the curb to let Wolfie play was a cold move.

·
Premium Member
22,706 Posts
Thankfully,....but I'm a Bonham snob :D
Yeah, same here.

The thing about Bonzo is: if you listen to his drum parts now, they really aren't that crazy. If you listen to the drums of many of his contemporaries, he was on another planet.

But Cherone???,....if that ain't the biggest what the f*ck moment in rock history I don't know what is. Can't even name one song he sang on
Is there really anything to discuss about that? :D

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Yeah, same here.

The thing about Bonzo is: if you listen to his drum parts now, they really aren't that crazy. If you listen to the drums of many of his contemporaries, he was on another planet.
Yup. 3 words. Bass. Drum. Triplets.

Wasn't that why the double bass pedal was invented. :D

Bonzo's end phrase fills still kill todays drummers though

·
Registered
4,146 Posts
While looking at Deluxes last post on the "Right now Im listening to" thread...I was just reminded of a light hearted arguement I have everytime I hang out with one of my wifes friends...

She thinks Van Halen is only worth a sh!t with the Red Rocker up front...I on the other hand stopped listening to them after Diamond Dave left...

To me its rock vs pop...DLR is and will always be the voice of Van Halen...

What says you...David Lee Roth or Sammy Hagar?
Is this a joke??

Just figure Star Wars with or without Han Solo and you'll soon have your answer.

·
Banned
2,731 Posts

Screw y'all...Gary Cherone.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Roth all the way .There's only one real Van Halen, the other was a poor immitation that never cut the grade .

·
Registered
127 Posts
I saw Van Halen on two different tours with Roth. 1981 Fair Warning and 1982 Diver Down. In '82 Roth was so drunk he barely sung any of the songs. Eddie and Michael Anthony sang practically that whole show.

...and I still put him above Van Hagar.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I always felt that Sammy Hagar is actually a better singer and musician than Dave. And he seems to have much less of LSD (Lead Singer Disease). But VH made better music with DLR than with Sammy. I think it was the push/pull that Dave's singing has ... he seems to sing against the music, whereas Sammy sings with it.
I think too that they made two very good albums with Sammy, 5150 & Balance.

But they made much better albums with Dave, the best one IMO being Fair Warning, then VH1, 1984, VH2, Women and Children First, and deep in last place Diver Down. Not that Diver Down was terrible, but it just ain't as good as the rest.

I've listened to most of the new one, but Dave's voice sounds used up to me now and it just isn't as good.

I like Chickenfoot too, Sammy and Joe Satriani make a good combination.

You are all correct about Alex's drumming. Let's just say he's lucky to have a little brother who is a guitar genius.

Ditto John Bonham ... the triplet bass drum fills on Good Times Bad Times still amaze me. Nobody else was doing that in 1969.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts