Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had the misfortune to have my bike breakdown on a French motorway. This resulted in not one but two rides in vans carrying my bike.

Van 1 recovered me from the motorway to a local Renault dealership. The driver and I manhandled Sheila up a thin ramp, almost as wide as my front tyre, and he then strapped her down.

The strapping didn't look all that good to me but I figured he probably knew what he was doing. I was right, he wasn't going to rely on the strapping to hold the bike still, he got me to sit on the wheelarch in the back so that I could hold the bike!

That's a relatively exciting event, 60mph in the back of a van trying to stop a 500lb bike from moving too much.

Surprisingly, the only ill effect of the ride was that the righthand mirror would need a fair bit of gaffer tape for the ride home having tapped the roof a couple of times.

Van 2 took us from the Renault dealer to a motorbike shop in town about 15km away.

Sheila was competently loaded and strapped down this time and I rode up front with the driver. The ride was "interesting".

The driver didn't wear his seatbelt although he later put it on in town "for the police". He only rarely had two hands on the wheel. He stuck rigidly to the speed limits whenever his way was blocked by another vehicle travelling at the speed limit - vastly exceeding them at all other times.

Two second rule - you know, the safe following distance rule - he obeyed that rule all the time he was texting or web browsing (most of the journey), only closing to half-second when he'd put his phone down.

Arriving at the bike shop during their lunch hour meant - no help available - the driver discovered that he'd forgotten to load a ramp. Did I think we could lift the bike down between us? I explained that she weighed 240 kilos (no) and he thought we could just bounce it down instead.

I went and found a plank and then prevented him from trying to ride down the plank.

Still, no harm done (apart from finally snapping off the mirror) :)

·
Premium Member
17,294 Posts
That's a relatively exciting event, 60mph in the back of a van trying to stop a 500lb bike from moving too much.
So were you ATGATT? :p

Sorry to hear about the breakdown, and the ruined trip! More details please, if you're willing!

·
Premium Member
5,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So were you ATGATT? :p
Was I ATGATT? Embarrassingly so:- armoured leather jeans, armoured leather jacket, leather boots, leather gloves, helmet, hi-viz waistcoat and, last but not least, warning triangle!

Fortunately, only the last two were fully tested - and both passed:)

Brief trip report here. I'll also be posting some further "lessons learned from failed IB" later.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts