Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just checked the valves on the old tank. Number 3 exhausts are tight. All intakes are very tight. I checked them at 6k and they were spot on. I thought I would encounter loose valves after 20k. Is this unusual?

I need to buy the special tool as I'm too much of a girl to pull the cams. Is this still a Triumph part, or did someone decide to make one in the aftermarket?

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Valves wear into their seats and close the gap at the cam so tighten up which is usual you'll be pleased to hear.

Triumph do make the tool but their are others kicking about on ebay from time to time, I bought one and then sold it as I couldn't get on with it ;-)

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
I got a valve tool with my RS. I'm willing to let it go cheap, as my RS is an '04 & needs cams out for valve adjustments. PM if interested.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
575 Posts
If you haven't finished yet, I know where you can go to swap out shims if needed. Try Corky at NW Lunsford Honda used to let me borrow a couple of trays worth on Saturday evenings. Being that they are closed on Sunday and Monday, I'd return them first thing Tuesday morning. They are the same shims as was used in early 80's CB 750's, 900's and 1100F's.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts