Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry lads. I know I'm a pain in the arsenic. I am pulling the cams on Thursday night since the special tool is not so special, or the operatior is???? Anyway, should i split the difference on the clearances? 10-15 and 15-20. Do I go 13, 17? Looking forward to your thoughts.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Run the high side of the clearance tolerances so the valve clearances don't fall far under minimum before the next valve check, i.e. do 14 and 19 or 15 and 20. For the most part you really won't be able to choose your exact number, thus the tolerance of .05 mm.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Like Marlin said, you want 'em at the loose end of tolerance 'cause they close up over time.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I just took it to bits. I have one intake valve that is .06, should I shim it to make it .16 or stick with .11. It just seemd to me that it will tighten up again. That is if the Triumph shims are all in increments of .05.

All the shims out of mine ranged from 2.625 to 2.725

·
Registered
157 Posts
When I ordered my shims from the triumph dealer last weekend, they listed them in .25mm increments. Bikebandit lists them that way too.
Dean

1 - 5 of 5 Posts