Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking for valve springs and Ti valve spring retainers for a 2006 Thruxton 865 engine. Anyone know where to find them?
Does anyone know if any other Triumph engine uses the same parts (valve springs, retainers, etc)? Thanks
jfn

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
call carlos at tpusa they are way ahead of everyone on the cams ,springs and so on.Are you changeing cams? Do you have your rev limit higher then stock? just wondering what you are doing wanting better springs and so on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What I am doing is building up the bike alittle at atime. I'm installing the 904cc kit now. While I have the head off I'm installinjg oversize valves and porting & polishing the head for better flow. Also installing the intake manifolds from TPUSA. I want to get everything done to the head now. Since I'm not installing cams at this time I can leave the springs go until then but I would like to get Ti retainers and buckets now. The carbs come later.
Yes I already have the rev limit raised. I want to make power between 7500-8000 for now. I'm trying to source the different parts out. I've started on the head and the cyls will be done this week. The valves will be ready in 2 weeks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went 2mm over on the intake and 1mm over on the exhaust. It spec'ed out for 3mm over for the intake but I didn't want to go that far. What I need to know is if anyone actually spec'ed the stock cams as to what timing's they have. The manual for the Thuxton say's they have lifts of 9.5mm for the intake and 9.4mm for the exhaust, but I only measured lifts of 8.68mm for the intake and 7.83mm for the exhaust. If this is the case, then the cam timings are off. Since I have my engine torn down I can't measure them. It's a 06. Since I don't have actual measurements I have to use what the book say's and if their're off, so am I.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
If you go 2 mm over on the intake you should put over sized seats .2mm over intakes are dang near the same 0.D. as the stock seats.Some put over sized valves in with out opening the seats up thats a waste .
9.5 intake 9.4exhaust is what the book says for your cams .You have 865 cams there the worst cams they put in the 360 deg motors you wont make much power with them.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes I understand I will have to replace the seats on the intakes. I also understand that the cams are not very good, but since I'm doing this piece-meal I'll have to use the stock cams for now. I want to do all I can to the head right now.
I know the book says the lift for the stock cams are 9.5mm intake and 9.4mm exhaust but the book is 'wrong'!

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
Some things to think about are if you are doing a wiesco kit you cant put much bigger then stock cams in later because the valve cuts in piston are not deep enough .If you are useing the tpusa kit you can get some good shim under bucket cams with alot more lift while you have the head work done is a good time to set the head up for what cams you will be useing later.If you are going to run the wiesco kit about the best cam out there is the tpusa 813.That cam can be used ether with shim over bucket or shim under bucket and they can set you up with what you need for ether.You can save money if you dont have to pull the head again.Gasket sets for the big bore are like $100. +

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes I was thinking about the 813 cams with the 42mm carbs later on. I understand about the wiseco kit not having the valve cutouts big enough. I will call tpusa the first of next week. I'm not out for big HP on this bike, I have a big Suzuki in the garage for that, just some nice streetable power. This bike is for the boy.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
with the right set up you will have hp in the 80s .It will be fun to ride.the torque comes on at low rpms and stays pretty flat to red line that makes for a fun ride.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts