Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok..the bird is on the lift, the valve cover is off, I have the tool , and it all looks pretty straightforward..however , my clearance should check .004 to .006 for my intake valves (0.10 to 0.15 for you metric folks)..and my exhaust valve clearance should check .006 to .008 (0.15 to .20)..wich boils down to a total of .003 total range.....my question is how come the valve shims only come in increments of .002 (.05)...?? ..so lets say i check any clearance and find it on the low limit (tight)...i can only replace the shim with one that is smaller by .002 ..so then my tolerance would be on the high limit (loose) I really would not be any better off would I?...does anybody know of a source of valve shims that come in increments of .001 (.025) so I can put it "spot on" ....hmmm..i think ill have a frosty one and think a while on it....i havent made any checks yet, i just ran out of time......cheers...............Tom

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
.i can only replace the shim with one that is smaller by .002 ..so then my tolerance would be on the high limit (loose) I really would not be any better off would I?
Thats absolutely fine - in fact as a rule if you have a choice tend high (greater clearance).

they make them in twos so they dont have to make so many difference sizes / charge you more.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Check out a Yamaha dealer - the shims from the place that I use increment by .025 (metric of course).
Interesting the shim kits we had at our shop back in the UK only used to go in .05 increments - maybe times have changed :rolleyes:

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thankx for the replies...i finelly took the time to get the shims out and i was surprised to see 3 place decimals, meaning they were stamped 2.625,... 2.725...ect... i thought they were going to be 2.65 or 2.70..and such....i am sure they are stock, as i am the 2nd owner....this means they are in increments of .025(.001) ... not .05(.002) as i thought....Tom

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
thankx for the replies...i finelly took the time to get the shims out and i was surprised to see 3 place decimals, meaning they were stamped 2.625,... 2.725...ect... i thought they were going to be 2.65 or 2.70..and such....i am sure they are stock, as i am the 2nd owner....this means they are in increments of .025(.001) ... not .05(.002) as i thought....Tom
Yes, I have bought .025 increments from Triumph too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm geeting ready to buy a K&L Shim kit and a few extra shims in sizes most likely needed.

So. Having not torn into my Tbird yet, what sizes are people finding they 1. have and 2 need most often in the Tbird engines?

I'll go ahead and order a few spares of likely sizes.

My Yamaha also uses 25mm shims so, this is a double use kit.

·
Premium Member
6,462 Posts
I'm geeting ready to buy a K&L Shim kit and a few extra shims in sizes most likely needed.

So. Having not torn into my Tbird yet, what sizes are people finding they 1. have and 2 need most often in the Tbird engines?

I'll go ahead and order a few spares of likely sizes.

My Yamaha also uses 25mm shims so, this is a double use kit.
My Legend has one adjustment made (at 9k miles) & the fitted shims now range from from 2.55 to 2.80. There's quite a few sizes in there, considering you may need more than one of each, tho' it's usually possible to re-use a number of the ones fitted already into a different valve position.

Classic triple forum shim bank/exchange anyone? :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
My Legend has one adjustment made (at 9k miles) & the fitted shims now range from from 2.55 to 2.80. There's quite a few sizes in there, considering you may need more than one of each, tho' it's usually possible to re-use a number of the ones fitted already into a different valve position.

Classic triple forum shim bank/exchange anyone? :D
I would make this kit available to forum members once I have it together.

The kit contains 2 ea of 2.30, 2.40, 2.50, 2.55, 2.60, 2.70, 2.80, 2.90, 3.00, 3.10

I think I will order 1 more 2.50, 2.55 and 2.60, 3 2.65's, and 2-2.75's

·
Registered
62 Posts
Had a funny thing happen the last time I checked mine. I had 2 out of spec, and the shim I pulled from one valve was the exact size I needed for the other, and vice versa. So I didn't have to buy any shims. I have NEVER had that happen before. I've used some that I had on hand from previous adjustments, but never had that happen before.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey randy....most shims in my bird were 2.675..2.65....2.7...2.725...2.75 (the largest)....2.625 (the smallest)....hope this helps, my local bike shop only charged 2.00 each so i got lucky ....Tom

·
Registered
28 Posts
hey randy....most shims in my bird were 2.675..2.65....2.7...2.725...2.75 (the largest)....2.625 (the smallest)....hope this helps, my local bike shop only charged 2.00 each so i got lucky ....Tom
Thanks to those that responded.

This is about the range most of the Yamaha V4's need also. I have a chance to get a kit and some spares at a good price, but not as good as $2/shim. We're going to have a maintenance day in a few months, so the shim kit and yamaha tool will be my contribution. That and a case of Terrapin Golden Ale.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts