Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 955i Tiger has now done 7,000 miles and is 2 years old (owned from new). I do all my own servicing and checked the valve clearances at the weekend.

I found 2 exhausts and 3 inlet clearances 0.01mm wider than the tolerance specified by Triumph. Although I have a shim removal tool, I couldn't be bothered having the bike in pieces for a week while I sorted out what shims I would need and hence bolted it all back up.

My past experience of overhead cams is that the clearances tighten with miles rather than slacken. If so, this would mean that the clearances must have been wider from new. Also if I leave them they should eventually go into tolerance.

Anybody got any comments on my observations? Or should I be stripping it down again and doing the job right?

Regards

Chris

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
0.01mm is less than half a thou. I'd be surprised if you could repeatedly measure that with feeler gauges, and I certainly wouldn't expect any problems from it.

·
Registered
391 Posts
When I checked mine at 24000 a couple were very slightly wider than spec but I just left them. I am not worried about it as a tiny amount like that will do no harm.

Andy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Clearances

Doing Valve clearance job for first time on 2002 Tiger 955i
19,00 miles picked up some usefull info on use of Bathroom sealant for replacement of gasket !!
Unable to find any post quoting clearances on site?
What should the clearences be ?

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Doing Valve clearance job for first time on 2002 Tiger 955i
19,00 miles picked up some usefull info on use of Bathroom sealant for replacement of gasket !!
Unable to find any post quoting clearances on site?
What should the clearences be ?
0.1 - 0.15mm (or .004"-.006" in old money) inlet
0.15 - 2.0mm exhaust.

For the price of proper silicon sealant I wouldn't bother with bathroom stuff.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Yes, you may have a point there.

But hang on a minute, don't you ride one of AMC's finest? That would suggest that you may, how can I put this politely, be aesthetically challenged?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts