Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Since my bike is in bits thought I’d check the valve clearances. Sadly not a single one was within tolerance. This looks like a “camshafts out” kind of job.... I can see that there is a Triumph special tool to get the shims out but don’t know if it’s a worthwhile investment?

what do you guys reckon ... buy the tool or pull the camshafts out?

cheers,

Stu

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I have always used the shim tool. I prefer it to displacing the many parts when using the cam out method, I also think that it's a time saver.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi Stu,
I just did this myself, bought the tool (almost bought it again because I bought it so long ago that I'd forgotten!) had to scratch my head for a while trying to figure it out, before realising there is no figuring out to do, it's dead simple. What had put me off was other people's struggles with it, some selling up on eBay without even doing the job, but if you've not done the job yet and want a photo or two, let me know. The hardest part was the maths, for me at least!
Best
Nathan.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I too went for the Triumph shim removal tool and found it straightforward to use. There are several lookalike versions on the market and despite assurances that they came with instructions I didn't trust them. The genuine Triumph version comes with a set of instructions which includes torque settings for the various mounting bolts. The cam cap threads that the tool fixes to are supposedly very easy to strip, which would be another world of pain I imagine. Like Nathan, I found the maths the hardest part and also remembering how to read my micrometer. :unsure::unsure:

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks gents... I bought the Triumph tool and found it easy to use. I’ve had the camshafts out too so I can compare both options... I’d say that using the Triumph tool is definitely the best and quickest option.
Stu

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
The cam cap threads that the tool fixes to are supposedly very easy to strip, which would be another world of pain I imagine.
The valve cover holes in the cam caps are easy to strip. When I stripped my second one I just geared up to fix all six holes in one evening. I bought the proper sized Heli-Coils, borrowed an installation tool and, one by one, drilled out and installed the Heli-Coils and reinstalled the cam cap before moving on to the next one. I used a drill press to keep everything straight.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts