Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ckeck the valave clearence today at 28000km. Measured in thou and done cold. The exhaust was .014, .013, .013, .013 and the inlets .008, .009, .010, .008.
According to the manual the correct specs are EX .010 to .012 and inlet .006 to .008, but the Hayns manual does not show any difference between the 790 and the 865.
Looks like they are a little wide, should they be adjusted.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can anyone confirm that I have the rights specs for a 2001 790 engine. The Haynes manaual list only one lot of clearences for all the motors?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like it will go in for adjustment next week, how long would it take a bike shop to do the adjustment.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looking at the manual it appears you need a special tool to hold one of the gears in place. I have done the valve clerence on my RMZ450 many times but the Bonne looks a bit more complicated.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
If there is a more important DIY on this site, I don't know what it is. That is a fantastic help to us all here. Thanks for putting that together Prop.

Also...I see you have some engine mods on deck and I look forward to reading about your findings there as I will likely follow your lead at some point.
Cheers,
George

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, there is some real good information here, I will get the tools made and do the job myself.

·
30,527 Posts
I see you have some engine mods on deck
Thanks for your comments. I am glad to post a few pics and notes to help people out where I can. One thing I like about these bikes, is that being well made and straightforward, they are encouraging people to do their own maintenance, thus helping to resurrect some good simple mechanical skills in the bike population as a whole.

As for the engine mods - yes indeed. It won't be until winter that I start them, but I am looking forward to doing that.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I believe that "out of spec" is a relative term and am going to get another season out of mine and let them go two thousands before ripping mine apart. Just my opinion and I'll let you know if it blows up.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts