Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Administrator
11,236 Posts
Getting the shims out of our buckets requires more than a magnet. They are stuck in there pretty good, takes a bit of an effort with a small screwdriver to pop them out. And there's not much surface area at all around the shim to get a tool on to press the valve down. Even if you could do that and there were enough room to get the shim out once you did, it sounds awfully fidgety and a pain in the arse. Removing the cams makes it pretty easy.

Dr. Blom probably has used this technique on a bike that wasn't a modern triumph twin. It's pretty common on some bikes. Don't think it would work here, but happy to be proven wrong on the subject.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Getting the shims out of our buckets requires more than a magnet. They are stuck in there pretty good, takes a bit of an effort with a small screwdriver to pop them out. And there's not much surface area at all around the shim to get a tool on to press the valve down. Even if you could do that and there were enough room to get the shim out once you did, it sounds awfully fidgety and a pain in the arse. Removing the cams makes it pretty easy.

Dr. Blom probably has used this technique on a bike that wasn't a modern triumph twin. It's pretty common on some bikes. Don't think it would work here, but happy to be proven wrong on the subject.
I agree with @BonnieBlack even if you could pull the shim out with cams still bolted in place, you will have one hell of time doing so as the clearance is practically nothing and forget about getting to the internal shim buckets. I quickly made up a set of pins grinding down a couple bolts using a bench grinder, took maybe 5 minutes. As already stated, removing the cams allows you to inspect much more than just the shims. Ive pulled off my cams dozens of times without a problem...just take your time and follow what others have stated you will be good to go soon enough.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I'm not sure you could pull the shims out on the inside of the right hand cylinder using a depression tool. I think they are trapped by recesses cut in the cam bearings.
This is also a really good time to ditch those torx fasteners for the cam caps and put hex bolts in.

·
Registered
10,245 Posts
Previous discussions on this forum say it's not possible with this motor. I'm still waiting for dr Blom's response, since he seemed so knowledgeable on this subject.

·
Registered
226 Posts
So the guy has done it on a different engine and made an assumption... just let it go ...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
So you haven't.
Sorry for having a life and not replying immediately mr adhd.
No i havent, maybe its too tight, maybe i wont have a problem. Wasnt easy on the other engines i did it on either, but i usually manage stuff noone else can so dont count me out just yet!
Am at least going to check my valve clearances this winter!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts